• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Derringer back from the dead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1942farmall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
It's been 20+ years since I've played with black powder or built any firearms.
I built quite a few many moons back.
I found part of an old CVA Derringer in a box of parts that was my late father-in-laws after he passed.
It was pretty beat up and had been sitting on my bench for about 3 years.
Two weeks ago I got the itch and started the rehab.
I ordered what was missing from Deer Creek.
This was mostly hardware.
I know it has no value but im really enjoying this build.
I had to do quite a few plugs or inlays to fix dents, damage, or previous errors.
Still lots to go but this is before and after.
The barrel still needs quite a bit of work and the trigger guard is only roughed out. Haven't decided on how to finish the stock.
Might do a medium brown stain and tung oil.

Attachments

• 20210425_174229.jpg
    20210425_174229.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20211220_174010.jpg
    20211220_174010.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 20211220_174038.jpg
    20211220_174038.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 97
Laser cut?
If not, what mill/cutter did you use?
It's an interesting project, the inlet's are obviously machined from a traditionalists view, but nicley done.
As a forensic construction,, the wood/metal interface of the lock, tang and trigger guard are off just a bit.
Not bad, it is a kit,,
The machined inlets DO fit the stock profiles,,
So how'd you do it? Your inlet "craftsmanship" is superb, please share with us,, honest, 😇

Last edited:
Laser cut?
If not, what mill/cutter did you use?
It's an interesting project, the inlet's are obviously machined from a traditionalists view, but nicley done.
As a forensic construction,, the wood/metal interface of the lock, tang and trigger guard are off just a bit.
Not bad, it is a kit,,
The machined inlets DO fit the stock profiles,,
So how'd you do it? Your inlet "craftsmanship" is superb, please share with us,, honest, 😇
All the rounds were drilled with forstner bits and then plugged with contrasting wood. The two teardrop inlays were fitted by hand with carving chisels and a Dremel.

I love these little guns. I have a few BP derringers. I keep one in my desk drawer next to me.
I think I have rebuilt or repaired at least a half dozen of them over the years.
My favorite is a 12mm little dude from Spain with a 3 inch barrel. Says 12mm but it measures 11 by my tape measure. (don't have calipers) Fits a .380 patched ball. Forgot how much powder I figured out to put in it. (don't lose your shooting notes in a move....it will leave you lost and scratching your head over the loads your guns need)

That little pistol you are working on is a fun one. Had a pair of them but sold them off to put more money in my rifle fund. :)

Decided to flute the barrel since one side had a serial number and 'Spain half sanded-off. You could only see the tops of the letters and numbers.
I re-stamped the number on the bottom that will be under the stock. Turned out good.
I'll paint infill the flutes black after I blue or brown the barrel.

Attachments

• 20211224_141226.jpg
    20211224_141226.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 37
Decided to flute the barrel since one side had a serial number and 'Spain half sanded-off. You could only see the tops of the letters and numbers.
I re-stamped the number on the bottom that will be under the stock. Turned out good.
I'll paint infill the flutes black after I blue or brown the barrel.

I like this!!

Latest posts

Back