• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Denim for patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today I was about to throwaways an old pair of jeans, so just out of curiosity I got up my caliber, the thickness turned out to be .020th so basically I was wondering if anybody else's tried denim

As you read more of the posts here you will find there are a lot of people who think denim is the neatest thing sense sliced bread. Others feel it is a bit too heavy, prefering the .013-.016 thick Pillow Ticking.
I say don't throw it away. Cut a few patches and give it a try. You may have to drop down .005 for the ball size but who knows, your gun may love the new fodder and shoot better than it ever did before.
That's the neat thing about muzzle-loading. You always have a good excuse to go to the range to try something new.

I just cut up about 10 zillion patch strips from Denim, works for me, 6 bucks is gonna a loooooooooong way on patches.

If you wash the sizing out of new material - wash before cutting the strips - or you'll be soooorrrrreeeeeeee!
Daryl

: Denim from good quality jeans works great with .010" under bore size.
: Brushed denim, usually .15 to .017 works well with .005" under bore size.
:General rule of thumb. We've not found a custom rifle to dislike this combo. I don't know about factory guns, but would try this FIRsT with RB twist and depth rifling.
Daryl

I've tried denim but never had great success.The denim in work jeans seem to be a tighter or harder weave than womens dress material.It seems to run from about .018 to. 021.This was a compressed measurement! The softer weave burnt out unless I used a buffer under the patch.I've found that hornets nest makes a very good buffer and it;s cheaper than Wonder Wads. Sam Fadala suggested it's use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I went out this evening and try some denim patches, using them with spit doesn't work very well. I switched over to natural lube, and then they were okay. I had changed to .535 round balls not long ago but with the denim patches I had to go back to .530 balls, the denim I was using was .020 thickness. I am not going to say that I'm going to change to denim for patches but in a pinch I will fall back on them.

I'm surprised when you say, denim didn't work with spit lube. Interesting - that's all we've used for 30 years and it's still working - the best. Some, like me in the .45 are using 10 thou under ball, while others use only 5thou under. Same patch, same lube(spit) - still doing great.
Daryl

I buy denim from the fabric store where I get my tickiing. Denim is .020 to .022. Wash it first just like you would ticking.

All of my old Denim goes to making char cloth for fire starting with flint & steel...

I use blue striped pillow ticking for all of my patching needs...

Now don't get me wrong, if I was out of ticking and needed to reload, I would be a taking a bead on my brothers trousers...

No need for me to get cold... :haha: :winking:

Ol' rollingb had me convinced to try spit patches so I did, but accidently licked a ptach I had lubed with Ballistol! :: Yeeeeech, spitooie :haha:.
If you think is SMELLS bad you orta taste it!

Maxiball: I'm suprised ole RollinB didn't tell you the rest of the story. You are supposed to lick the Ballistol with your first patch. That way, you will have an abundance of spit for the rest of the days shooting. ::
In other words, Ya Done Good!

I have used old jeans and it worked fine. I cut mine into strips like all the other stuff and moose milked it. Just before I set the ball I mist it with a little more moose milk and it worked good.

I admit though I get cotton pillow tick (blue strip) from wal mart, wash it and use that as my patch. It really works good...

Latest posts

Back