• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Denatured Alcohol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to get some LPS2 and denatured alcohol and the alcohol said Fuel o front of can followed by denatured alcohol. Is that what I want when I need denatured alcohol? Laurel mnt forge says to thin with denatured alcohol

Denatured Ethanol (alcohol) has had additives mixed with it to make it poisonous and unpalatable for consumption.

Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for alcohol burners and camping stoves. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used.

When I was working in the aerospace industry as a mechanical engineer, we used Ever Clear to clean glass mirrors. It was the only thing that would clean glass mirrors without leaving streaks. You would flood the surface and let dry - no wiping. :thumb: :ThankYou:

This stuff?
1674591301777.png

I use 90 percent rubbing alcohol misted on a patch between shots . Not soaking just misted on with a spray bottle. Run the jag and patch down and reload you will have better accuracy and increase in velocity its true the alcohol increase speed . Try nitro wads . Great stuff alcohol is . Always have a bottle at the range and you will win more shoots.

Lots of German, Swiss and Slav immigrants settled in the Olney section of Philadelphia. My wife's ancestors among them. During prohibition they had large house parties in their basements. We have a very well made copper still from one of her family's basements. It was made by an uncle who worked as a machinist for Ford.
My mother's family in Smyth county, Virginia, had been making their adult beverage for many, many generations. Prohibition brought them new demand and relative wealth. Is anyone still making it? :)

I really did check into buying a small 5 gallon still for years. Back when they were available I always had something else to spend the money on. After retirement with all the insanity of the last couple of years the ones that are highly rated have long wait times for delivery. For me, it’s probably for the best. And I wish @Phil Coffins hadn't brought up using EverClear, that all I need is to start sampling my solvent while I’m working on a project!!! ;)

I use 90 percent rubbing alcohol misted on a patch between shots . Not soaking just misted on with a spray bottle. Run the jag and patch down and reload you will have better accuracy and increase in velocity its true the alcohol increase speed . Try nitro wads . Great stuff alcohol is . Always have a bottle at the range and you will win more shoots.
We call it Methylated spirit down here. Just for a hoot one day I carefully washed out an empty Meths bottle, leaving the label on. Then I filled it with water and leaving the label very prominent on my bench I took regular swigs from it. Shoud'a seen the looks I was gettin.😂
:eek:😂:eek:😂:oops::oops:🤣

Back