• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Defarbed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My issue with defarbing is the "distressing" that is part of the process. Personally, I would aim to make the piece look like an original that had survived 150 years in slightly better than average condition rather than having suffered a lot of neglect.
LeMat Percussion Revolver (3).JPG

As a former reenactor, the issue I have with “defarbing” is it creates a near fake. Take your defarbed piece 20-30 years from now and someone will insist it’s original. For that very reason, the Civil War relic market is seriously buyer beware especially with Confederate stuff.

I can see the issues between defarbing and outright forgery are complex. What I don't understand, is why the example in the video should be made to look so much rougher than the 150+ year old one.
Do defarbers use serial numbers known to be bogus to reduce the chance of their efforts being passed off as old?

The mistaking of a modern made gun can be made by most anybody. I was talking to Curley Gostomsky. He told the story of being at one of the Western Rendezvous and he bought a North West Trade gun from a Native American who was selling a gun with a history on the reservation. It wasn't until Curley got the gun back home and took it apart for conservation that he was able to determine that it was a gun that he had made.

A handmade gun produced by someone who knows what they are doing, and aged, can fool experts. A armi- sport 1861 that has been defarbed should fool no one. I’ve seen many brass frame Italian revolvers aged with a fake CSA stamp. I’m talking about people like us, that handle these guns a lot, as opposed to people who see old gun, must be big bucks!

I have two defarbed civil war era weapons from when I done re-enacting, they were done by John Zimmerman at Bolivar heights WVA. very good job. I know not how he done it but both weapons retain the modern markings original to them when purchased all you have to do is remove the barrels from the stocks and there are the modern markings on the bottom of the barrels, one is a 1842 .69 cal. and the other is a 1861 Springfield .58 cal. I had a First Sgt. that carried a original Enfield and there was a private who had a defarbed Enfield if you laid the two rifles side bye side you could not tell the difference between them I do not know who defarbed the repro but who ever it was very good. A re-enactors weapons see some ruff use and after a few years even a well cared for weapon develops the wear and patina that is present on originals, For instance while engaging in a battalion formation during weapons inspection I was questioned about the bayonet fixed to th 42 bye a inspecting officer to the point he reamed my a## about the appearance of the bayonet I just smiled and informed him if you were close to 200 years old you would have a bit of patina on you also It is a original, just like the first button on top of my sack coat, He grumbled something and walked too the next trooper in line.

The only thing I will take off a gun is cheap looking decorative markings, like the "engraving" on the lock of my Traditions derringer. Markings pertinent to the gun's manufacture get left on. When we're all long dead and gone and some dude in 2218 winds up with my Pedersoli Bess (assuming people are still "allowed" to own guns then) it will be a genuine antique in its own right, and I think he'll appreciate being able to see the markings telling him the maker, date, and serial number, so he has at least some information on the gun's history. Of course, some reenactor may take possession of it between when I croak and that future time and "defarb" it, in which case 2218 dude is screwed, but at least I did my part. 😄

A handmade gun produced by someone who knows what they are doing, and aged, can fool experts. A armi- sport 1861 that has been defarbed should fool no one. I’ve seen many brass frame Italian revolvers aged with a fake CSA stamp. I’m talking about people like us, that handle these guns a lot, as opposed to people who see old gun, must be big bucks!

Agreed.
The first thing I notice is if the "original" is still in firing condition, since that brings the most money, that means less damage to it, so more details should be visible and usually either the forger messes up something, or the "expert" selling the item missed something...whether that was a "convenient" error or the person is not as "expert" as they think...well....
On another forum there was an "original" ACW revolver that somebody had removed any proof marks and modern marks such as the makers name, country of make, and etc. BUT..., the stamps were done wrong on the repro.

Not only is the P out of alignment, but the originals did not put the apostrophe in the name...,

Original vs Fake STAMP.jpg

LD

Back