Defarbed Navy Arms 1863 Springfield

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

BigSkyRambler

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Curious from you NSSA folks what kind of premium people pay for fully defarbed and correct 1863 Springfield rifle repros in Like New condition? Thinking about doing one for resale.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Curious from you NSSA folks what kind of premium people pay for fully defarbed and correct 1863 Springfield rifle repros in Like New condition? Thinking about doing one for resale.
OK, having spent many years as both an NSSA member and re-enactor, this is my opinion for what it is worth.

NSSA folks are all and primarily shooters and de-farbing is not nearly as important to them as the shooting condition the rifle musket is in. They will spend money on custom barrels or complete guns, but won't spend much of anything more to buy repro's made more authentic looking. Some might have it done on their own guns, but they really don't care about it on a used gun for which they don' know.

De-farbing is a much more interesting thing to re-enactors and they are primarily the main market for such work on their own guns.

The problem with de-farbing and not having it ordered by a customer is even most Re-enactors won't pay the full cost of it on a used gun, no matter how good shape it is in. That's because it is "custom work" they didn't order themselves. So what you are proposing is basically a losing proposition, unless you don't count your time as worth much of anything and don't expect to get anywhere close to the normal cost of having it done. It may be worth it to you as advertising for the service, even if you don't get anywhere close to the normal cost, though.

In case you don't know, here are basic de-farbing costs that Lodgewood charges. They don't list the M1863, but charges are pretty much the same as for the M1861:

M1861 Springfield (lodgewood.com)

Gus

BigSkyRambler

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. Kind of thought that might be the case. I have looked at Longwood site.

hawkeye2

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Under N-SSA rules the barrel manufacturer's mark must remain on the barrel or the gun is not legal to use in competition. It might be possible to have the Small Arms Committee inspect the arm and give individual approval but its lineage would have to be extremely apparent.

dave951

45 Cal.
Reaction score
As a current N-SSA member and former reenactor, for N-SSA purposes, I don't care one bit about "defarbed". As a former reenactor, it's cool, but is it really worth it?

dave951

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just an observation, that this question is even being asked in reference to the N-SSA shows a huge lack of understanding among the general public that the N-SSA is NOT a reenactor group. The N-SSA IS a competitive shooting organization that happens to focus on American Civil War arms. We don't do blanks.

Reactions: BEP

Stantheman86

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The only interest I have in any Defarbing by Lodgewood is having them reshape and finish the stock on my Pedersoli 1816 Springfield. Just to make it look and handle better, and to remove that poly finish. Taking off the laser engraved Eagle that looks like a prison tat and the cheesy "Springfield" etching would be a bonus. It's just for aesthetics, I'm not a reenactor. Some people just don't want the paragraph of manufacturers stamps on the barrel, plus Lodgewood can "age" the muskets to give them a service worn look like it's been carried in the field for a few years.

Honestly you can get a decent original for less than a defarbed repro in many cases, you can find functional and complete but well used 1861 Springfields, P53 Enfields and .69 French percussion muskets for about $1000.

Reenactors having defarbed weapons makes sense, more so for those that do the Living History parts of it. I did some local Living History stuff before COVID shut everything down and I'd let people take a look at my Pedersoli 1816 Springfield percussion conversion and it was obviously a repro with the factory stamps on the barrel but I doubt 99% of people cared or even noticed. They just want to see you shoot blanks and they usually think the bayonet is cooler than the musket. But I get it, Reenactors want to be 100% authentic in every way and if you don't want to carry an original or your Unit has a weapon that is very expensive or impossible to obtain like a Sharps or an old flintlock musket, then a defarbed repro weapon is the way to go.

Latest posts