• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Defarbed CVA Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
REDUCED OK. This is the result of the kit that I sent to Sparkitoff for the German exchange student to build. I must say he did a bangup job. The barrel markings were draw filed off and the barrel given a heavy brown finish. Stock was sanded and given an aged appearance. All brass polished. Beautiful bright bore.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/german-apprentice-project-thread.178122/
Proceeds over my costs (about $215) are going to NMLRA Youth program. Soooo, asking $225 +Shipping for this fine pistol that is a cut above a basic kit build and for a good cause.
20240605_154131.jpg
20240605_154445.jpg
20240605_154414.jpg
20240605_154537.jpg
20240605_154556.jpg
20240605_154618.jpg
20240605_155640.jpg
20240605_155036.jpg

Last edited:
My exchange student used a photo collection of an antique handgun to come up with the look for the stock, and the choice of deep browning on the barrel. He spent at least 8 hours on the barrel alone, removing all the stamped marks, squaring everything to fit in the stock precisely and getting a deep, dark browning. The lock was fitted to the stock with feeler gauges and it is a tight, precise fit. The pre-cut inlet doesn't allow for "un-doing" exaggerated recesses or curves, but he got the lock where there is absolutely no play with the least amount of gapping possible without correction. The brass parts were hand-filed and fitted for an exact fit. His wood finish concoction is a German recipe from his family that was based on English slaucom oil. It is a mixture of real blood, BLO, finisher and hardener and some Alkenoate Root and charcoal diluted and mixed in an oil. He put a dark chalk on his hands and apron and then drew the gun from a waistbelt. Where the chalk transferred to the gun, he rubbed heavily with dry hands to create faux wear and tear like the gun was regularly used. There are several coats of hard wax buffed in for the finale. The sights were left full so you can adjust to your liking with the exception of the rear sight notch. This was opened a bit until there was a wisp of daylight on either side of the front blade at full arm extension. The loading rod is glued and pinned on both ends and finished with a Tru-oil rub. With a Center hold on a 10-inch bull it hits about 6-O'Clock right now. Only 3-shots were fired, a random 25-grains FFFg with a .440 ball and .010 patch (pre-lubed). At 25-yards it cloverleafed the shots with him shooting. Cleaned to perfection. Has the box and paperwork although the styro-foam was modified to hold the completed item. If I can answer any questions to help I'm happy to do so. While I did not work on the project directly, I provided the training and techniques on other metal and wood for the practice.

My exchange student used a photo collection of an antique handgun to come up with the look for the stock, and the choice of deep browning on the barrel. He spent at least 8 hours on the barrel alone, removing all the stamped marks, squaring everything to fit in the stock precisely and getting a deep, dark browning. The lock was fitted to the stock with feeler gauges and it is a tight, precise fit. The pre-cut inlet doesn't allow for "un-doing" exaggerated recesses or curves, but he got the lock where there is absolutely no play with the least amount of gapping possible without correction. The brass parts were hand-filed and fitted for an exact fit. His wood finish concoction is a German recipe from his family that was based on English slaucom oil. It is a mixture of real blood, BLO, finisher and hardener and some Alkenoate Root and charcoal diluted and mixed in an oil. He put a dark chalk on his hands and apron and then drew the gun from a waistbelt. Where the chalk transferred to the gun, he rubbed heavily with dry hands to create faux wear and tear like the gun was regularly used. There are several coats of hard wax buffed in for the finale. The sights were left full so you can adjust to your liking with the exception of the rear sight notch. This was opened a bit until there was a wisp of daylight on either side of the front blade at full arm extension. The loading rod is glued and pinned on both ends and finished with a Tru-oil rub. With a Center hold on a 10-inch bull it hits about 6-O'Clock right now. Only 3-shots were fired, a random 25-grains FFFg with a .440 ball and .010 patch (pre-lubed). At 25-yards it cloverleafed the shots with him shooting. Cleaned to perfection. Has the box and paperwork although the styro-foam was modified to hold the completed item. If I can answer any questions to help I'm happy to do so. While I did not work on the project directly, I provided the training and techniques on other metal and wood for the practice.
Thanks for those details. This ain't your average CVA kit pistol project.

Geez if we knew it would be orphaned we would have kept it here.....

This is a nice, defarrbed, accurate gun. It did not seem picky about load, or we got lucky with the first load we tried grouping tightly. The weight is distributed decently so you don't get tired or have to fight with it to shoot off-hand. I realize this was put together by someone learning the ropes, but he literally has around 25-hours into it. The unfinished kits sell for more than this asking price!

Give it another look -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back