• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

deer season started yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is a early SC buck still in velvet i killed a couple of years ago. people up north and other states believe the bull they are fed that our deer are rabbits, wrong! i have a lot of photos i could show but there are modern rifles in the photos, this is a decent buck for the area i live and hunt but in some farmland areas, they get a lot bigger. the funny thing about this deer is i took him to a processor, when it was ready the kid called me and said your deer is ready. he told me we recovered the broadhead also! i told him i killed the deer with a gun. he said the broadhead was in the top of the deer's back. 2 years earlier my brother was traditional bow hunting with me, he stuck a 6 point under the stand. we followed blood till the deer went on other land and we had to abandon the search. i called my brother and asked what broadhead he was shooting? he told me and i said Well i got it back for you.
10 point (3).jpg

Poor deer. He lived a life if misery and suffering. Glad it's over for him now.

That is the part about hunting that I hate. A good clean kill is fine, but a lot of them only get wounded.
well, it didn't look like he was in misery to me. maybe after it first happened. but a hard deposit developed around the broadhead. there are plenty of people who walk around with bullets in their body with no ill effects.

As to the various states and there regulations on hunting, I had a friend a older fellow (he has since passed on) told me when he was a kid perhaps 7-8 years old his dad killed a spike buck during deer hunting season as it was very cold out they hung it in a tree in the yard, The local news paper got wind of the kill and sent a reporter to do a write up about the hunt and the deer, he also stated folks came from great distances to see the deer, this was sometime in the 20s it was a rare occurance for a hunter then to even see a deer according to him. not so long ago around the 50s my father talked about deer hunting and stated if you saw a doe you were doing good and if you killed a buck it was a rare occurance, now of days where I hunt I see plenty of deer, a few bears now and then and a occasional bob cat, coyotes, even heard of sightings of lions, I like the ideal that the animals are stable and making a come back and am to the point where I can be choosey as what I drop the hammer on. So yes the various conservation departments for the states have played a important role in heard management. It comes down to the individual hunter to self impose on thereselves what they kill, and stay within the law.
I remember a time in the 70’ in southern WV if someone saw a deer track it was talked about for weeks in the barbershop.Gun season was closed, now there are book bucks being killed in large numbers

Wildlife resource workers are generally dedicated to the work and the cause of conservation and healthy animal populations. Gov't leaders and insurance lobbyists not so much. Conservation programs have been instrumental in making restoration of wildlife possible.
All animals harvested, for whatever reason, deserve a clean, quick ethical kill. If you can't dispatch an animal efficiently, let it walk.

When I first started bow hunting in Connecticut in 1975, you got one buck tag.
As time went by, they offered more and more tags.
If you got all the tags available, you could take 12 deer. Then they started with free replacement antlerless tags.
One guy I know of killed over 20 deer in a season.
Last year the harvest was way down and guys were complaining about not seeing any more deer. Gee, I wonder why?
I don't know for sure but I believe the insurance companies lobby the state to issue more and more deer tags
hoping the hunters would kill all of them.

Poor deer. He lived a life if misery and suffering. Glad it's over for him now.

That is the part about hunting that I hate. A good clean kill is fine, but a lot of them only get wounded.
That is why I do not like bow hunting. Will it kill? Certainly, Is it as humane as using a firearm? Absolutely not! Which would you rather be shot with? Yeah, no one in their right mind wants a bow used on them. Slow and painful, bleed out.(IMHO)

well, it didn't look like he was in misery to me. maybe after it first happened. but a hard deposit developed around the broadhead. there are plenty of people who walk around with bullets in their body with no ill effects.
You did fine, no remorse needed.

Look at the body on that deer…in the last moments of his life, he isn’t suffering at all. Well nourished healthy deer, healed just fine.

Some people don’t get it, they live their suburban lives and they make their judgements based on emotions…not on real knowledge, facts & evidence. All the evidence is right there in the image…fat healthy deer.

Some people are ignorant Gomers….

Last edited:
Back