• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer season started yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to the various states and there regulations on hunting, I had a friend a older fellow (he has since passed on) told me when he was a kid perhaps 7-8 years old his dad killed a spike buck during deer hunting season as it was very cold out they hung it in a tree in the yard, The local news paper got wind of the kill and sent a reporter to do a write up about the hunt and the deer, he also stated folks came from great distances to see the deer, this was sometime in the 20s it was a rare occurance for a hunter then to even see a deer according to him. not so long ago around the 50s my father talked about deer hunting and stated if you saw a doe you were doing good and if you killed a buck it was a rare occurance, now of days where I hunt I see plenty of deer, a few bears now and then and a occasional bob cat, coyotes, even heard of sightings of lions, I like the ideal that the animals are stable and making a come back and am to the point where I can be choosey as what I drop the hammer on. So yes the various conservation departments for the states have played a important role in heard management. It comes down to the individual hunter to self impose on thereselves what they kill, and stay within the law.
I always hunted in the NW Pa area, Bradford, in Mckean Cnty. Rugged area, cold, snow tough conditions. You had to really want to hunt! I hunted with my brother and 3-4 other gys we knew every year. It was a good year when half of us got a deer. We would share the meat etc. so no problem, but if you hunt on the ground the old way, in tough terrain and weather, getting a deer is not that easy (IMHO)

I have had all Covid vaccinations including boosters, as well these as a child growing up; Polio, Typhoid, Typhus, TB, Whooping cough , Diphtheria, and in the service Dengue fever, Beri Beri, Malaria , Dysentery and of course good old Flu shots, Shingles, Pneumococcal Pneumonia, Tetanus, and Hepatitis. How about you !
nothing in modern times! i have never had a flu shot and diffidently will never take the poison they now offer! you can take mine since you love and trust the gang now in charge, how bout dat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You are lucky. Here in South Dakota a land owner with at least 160 acres he/she physically farms can apply for a deer tag for each person in the household-man, wife, two children over the age of 10 living at home equals four tags, for example. However, you have to pay for them @ $40 for each any deer tag and $20 for each anterless tag plus a $10 habitat stamp. No free lunch here unfortunately.
For us it's depended on how many acres you own, the ones I get are the limit and we don't have to pay for them. I only can take one antlered deer the rest are antlerless.

nothing in modern times! i have never had a flu shot and diffidently will never take the poison they now offer! you can take mine since you love and trust the gang now in charge, how bout dat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I trust the science, not the govt. The vaccinations have saved millions of lives over the last hundred years. In the 1918 Spanish Flu or Influenza killed millions. Now with vaccinations, that number is virtually nothing.

he 1918 influenza pandemic, commonly known by the misnomer Spanish flu or as the Great Influenza epidemic, was an exceptionally deadly global influenza pandemic caused by the H1N1 influenza A virus. Estimates of deaths range from 17 million to 50 million,

I trust the science, not the govt. The vaccinations have saved millions of lives over the last hundred years. In the 1920 Spanish Flu killed hundreds of thousands. Now with vaccinations, that number is virtually nothing.
You're right and wrong.

The 1918 Spanish flu - that scientists now believed started in Kansas killed between 50-100 million people. Vaccinations today definitely help, but the reason it was so bad then and isnt now is that it was novel then and our bodies had no idea what they were facing. Today we've had 100 years of exposure and our bodies are much better at fending it off a) and b) many diseases will evolve to be less deadly over time anyhow. It's not in the interest of communicable diseases to kill the host if avoidable.

But I really don't see what any of this has to do with SC deer season.

You're right and wrong.

The 1918 Spanish flu - that scientists now believed started in Kansas killed between 50-100 million people. Vaccinations today definitely help, but the reason it was so bad then and isnt now is that it was novel then and our bodies had no idea what they were facing. Today we've had 100 years of exposure and our bodies are much better at fending it off a) and b) many diseases will evolve to be less deadly over time anyhow. It's not in the interest of communicable diseases to kill the host if avoidable.

But I really don't see what any of this has to do with SC deer season.
It has nothing to do with deer season.
Well, I wish you the best, and hope you do well with the deer hunting I hope you can feel a bit better about the govt too. its far from perfect but beats what else is available hands down. Stay safe when hunting. I'd say stay cool, but that is tough this time of year.

I always hunted in the NW Pa area, Bradford, in Mckean Cnty. Rugged area, cold, snow tough conditions. You had to really want to hunt! I hunted with my brother and 3-4 other gys we knew every year. It was a good year when half of us got a deer. We would share the meat etc. so no problem, but if you hunt on the ground the old way, in tough terrain and weather, getting a deer is not that easy (IMHO)
I am a ground hunter to damn old to be climbing trees, and with the passing of my dad a few years ago I hunt alone. The area I hunt is tough getting into but the deer are there and I have the mountain all to my self, seems like the weather these past few years is not a ruff as in years past, There are not many years where I have not killed a decent buck and most years two, one in muzzle loading season and one during regular firearms season, but come deer seasons I spend a bunch of days in the boonies. Like I stated I have matured in my deer hunting priorties, My personal standards have moved to at least what I figure is a three year old buck must be a big six point and up, My dad would be rolling in the grave if he knew I have left a racked buck walk 😉Just last year fourth day rifle season finally connected on a big 8 that was after spending 3 days watching buck deer during our early muzzle loader season, the first 3 days seen smaller 8s and a few sixes gave them a pass and said see you boys in a few years. I do use trail cams and they give me a good ideal of whats prowling around in the woods. I can count the number of does I have killed on three fingers, years back used to have to put in for a doe tag,drew every year and just hung them in the work shop.

I am a ground hunter to damn old to be climbing trees, and with the passing of my dad a few years ago I hunt alone. The area I hunt is tough getting into but the deer are there and I have the mountain all to my self, seems like the weather these past few years is not a ruff as in years past, There are not many years where I have not killed a decent buck and most years two, one in muzzle loading season and one during regular firearms season, but come deer seasons I spend a bunch of days in the boonies. Like I stated I have matured in my deer hunting priorties, My personal standards have moved to at least what I figure is a three year old buck must be a big six point and up, My dad would be rolling in the grave if he knew I have left a racked buck walk 😉Just last year fourth day rifle season finally connected on a big 8 that was after spending 3 days watching buck deer during our early muzzle loader season, the first 3 days seen smaller 8s and a few sixes gave them a pass and said see you boys in a few years. I do use trail cams and they give me a good ideal of whats prowling around in the woods. I can count the number of does I have killed on three fingers, years back used to have to put in for a doe tag,drew every year and just hung them in the work shop.
My brother still hunts every year in Pa. He hunts Rifle, Muzzle loading and Primitive seasons. he is 74 and still wants that deer each year! They are not the biggest deer in the mountains, and large racks are not that common it appears, I guess it has to do with how good their food source was etc???

OK, calm down. Some of the points made on both sides are valid.

Game departments are necessary BUT should be out of the hands of politicians and operate with a budget NOT determined by the revenue that hunting brings in. That way qualified (masters degree or higher) biologists can do what is right to balance the environment properly not what the politicians and accountants want.

There will be griping even then because added predators may decrease bag limits as populations fluctuate. Also, folks don't like change. To do it properly bag limits and methods of take may change annually thus making it mandatory for hunters and fishermen to thoroughly read the rules EACH season. This would apply in spades to LEOs who don't seem to keep up with them even now.

When I hunted in South Africa and Namibia in 1982 (apartheid era), all of the game was owned by the landowners. This was a recent change from the government controlling all of the game previously.

Landowners were raising cattle for a livelihood. Because game animals competed with the cattle for food, the farmers killed tens of thousands of head of antelope. Certain species were in danger of being eliminated so the government used a ploy and changed the laws so that all wild animals on private land were owned by the landowners and could be killed, marketed, or dealt with as the landowners saw fit.

Game 'venison' was/is sought after in Europe and is very popular commanding a higher price than beef. Soon, the landowners realized that the game animals had real monetary value and started marketing antelope which thrived on their land, didn't need worming, could find water sources on their own and provided more revenue than the commercial beef did.

But there was a problem. They had wiped out most of the antelope so the few that didn't kill off everything auctioned off antelope in threes, 2 does/cows and one bull/buck. These auctions were attended by other farmers who bid up the price and thus all realized that lots of rands $$$$ could be made from game vs cattle.

Eventually, it evolved so that hunters (mostly foreign) could hunt their trophies, pay a trophy fee for the head and horns and the landowner could still sell the carcass on the open market. Please note that none of these private lands in Namibia were high-fenced. It was really fair-chase.

Money drives the world and that includes both private individuals and governmental agencies. Make it profitable and all will benefit.

END OF SERMON.

I only keep checking in on this thread to see if @olskool has got his deer.

Have you been doing much hunting this season yet?
i went yesterday evening, i saw a deer cross in front of me but it went so fast i couldn't tell what it was. if it is not raining hard in the morning i will go. but i have lots of time yet :))

It has nothing to do with deer season.

Well, I wish you the best, and hope you do well with the deer hunting I hope you can feel a bit better about the govt too. its far from perfect but beats what else is available hands down. Stay safe when hunting. I'd say stay cool, but that is tough this time of year.
thanks, i will!

As to the various states and there regulations on hunting, I had a friend a older fellow (he has since passed on) told me when he was a kid perhaps 7-8 years old his dad killed a spike buck during deer hunting season as it was very cold out they hung it in a tree in the yard, The local news paper got wind of the kill and sent a reporter to do a write up about the hunt and the deer, he also stated folks came from great distances to see the deer, this was sometime in the 20s it was a rare occurance for a hunter then to even see a deer according to him. not so long ago around the 50s my father talked about deer hunting and stated if you saw a doe you were doing good and if you killed a buck it was a rare occurance, now of days where I hunt I see plenty of deer, a few bears now and then and a occasional bob cat, coyotes, even heard of sightings of lions, I like the ideal that the animals are stable and making a come back and am to the point where I can be choosey as what I drop the hammer on. So yes the various conservation departments for the states have played a important role in heard management. It comes down to the individual hunter to self impose on thereselves what they kill, and stay within the law.
Amen.

Game departments are necessary BUT should be out of the hands of politicians and operate with a budget NOT determined by the revenue that hunting brings in.
Couldn't agree more. In 1984 in Missouri a 1/4 cent sales tax was on the ballot for the conservation Dept. it would be use by a committee and would not go into general revenue. The politicians can touch it. It was passed by a landslide. I not sure any other state has done such a thing.

OK, calm down. Some of the points made on both sides are valid.

Game departments are necessary BUT should be out of the hands of politicians and operate with a budget NOT determined by the revenue that hunting brings in. That way qualified (masters degree or higher) biologists can do what is right to balance the environment properly not what the politicians and accountants want.

There will be griping even then because added predators may decrease bag limits as populations fluctuate. Also, folks don't like change. To do it properly bag limits and methods of take may change annually thus making it mandatory for hunters and fishermen to thoroughly read the rules EACH season. This would apply in spades to LEOs who don't seem to keep up with them even now.

When I hunted in South Africa and Namibia in 1982 (apartheid era), all of the game was owned by the landowners. This was a recent change from the government controlling all of the game previously.

Landowners were raising cattle for a livelihood. Because game animals competed with the cattle for food, the farmers killed tens of thousands of head of antelope. Certain species were in danger of being eliminated so the government used a ploy and changed the laws so that all wild animals on private land were owned by the landowners and could be killed, marketed, or dealt with as the landowners saw fit.

Game 'venison' was/is sought after in Europe and is very popular commanding a higher price than beef. Soon, the landowners realized that the game animals had real monetary value and started marketing antelope which thrived on their land, didn't need worming, could find water sources on their own and provided more revenue than the commercial beef did.

But there was a problem. They had wiped out most of the antelope so the few that didn't kill off everything auctioned off antelope in threes, 2 does/cows and one bull/buck. These auctions were attended by other farmers who bid up the price and thus all realized that lots of rands $$$$ could be made from game vs cattle.

Eventually, it evolved so that hunters (mostly foreign) could hunt their trophies, pay a trophy fee for the head and horns and the landowner could still sell the carcass on the open market. Please note that none of these private lands in Namibia were high-fenced. It was really fair-chase.

Money drives the world and that includes both private individuals and governmental agencies. Make it profitable and all will benefit.

END OF SERMON.
In South Dakota the game department receives no general funds. Their entire budget is made up of fees collected from hunters, fisherman, and campers together with the states share of the tax levied by the feds on guns, ammo, fishing equipment and so on. This prevents the politicians from meddling with decisions best left to professionals. Everyone making decisions in the game department has a college degree such as in wildlife management, forestry and this keeps the wilflife management on a professional level. If the politicians could influence season dates, bag limits etc. I would have NO confidence in the game department. As it currently is, I feel the game department does a great job balancing the needs of landowners, sportsman, and the wildlife.

poor deer herds? like i said, you have no idea what you are talking about. in some areas our deer here get up to two hundred pounds, granted that is not the norm, but our deer don't have all the farmland and winters to fatten like northern deer do. and we have a lot of deer! that is why our season is the longest in the nation! and about shooting anything with horns, i have saw photos posted by members, in other states where they shoot button baby bucks and brag about it! there are stupid people all over, not just the south or north, but everywhere. and on top of that, we could not care less how you folks do it up north!
and this is just a doe , 135 pounds . the buck was 240

Attachments

• ccccccccccccccccccccccccc.jpg
    ccccccccccccccccccccccccc.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PB190087.JPG
    PB190087.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Back