• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

deer season started yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very cool!
I was very fortunate to have loving parents and grandparents . My brother and I were able to accompany him on the trips he made into the Vancouver, Klondike, Kodiak Is and Newfoundland. Would have loved to have gone to Africa but it was not to be. He also went to Norway for Polar bear, but never got a shot at one. Spent his last years going to South America for birds, mainly ducks.

I was very fortunate to have loving parents and grandparents . My brother and I were able to accompany him on the trips he made into the Vancouver, Klondike, Kodiak Is and Newfoundland. Would have loved to have gone to Africa but it was not to be. He also went to Norway for Polar bear, but never got a shot at one. Spent his last years going to South America for birds, mainly ducks.
just as a tidbit. The "hunting" lodge was/is in the middle of the Allegheny National Forest. My great grandfather, who was also alive until I was about 20, was there before it was made a National Forest. My "family" was grandfathered in. The place could never be sold etc. Once the family dies off, the land will reverted to the govt.!! My great grandfather gave it to my grandfather, who gave it to my mother, who gave it to my older brother. Sadly, there is no one left to give it too. Four generations of history will be lost, due to a govt regulation!

That is why I do not like bow hunting. Will it kill? Certainly, Is it as humane as using a firearm? Absolutely not! Which would you rather be shot with? Yeah, no one in their right mind wants a bow used on them. Slow and painful, bleed out.(IMHO)
I've seen deer shot with rifles go a long distance before dying. With good hits.
While I'm all for a quick clean kill, Hunting is an imperfect sport, and we are imperfect beings. I'm guessing every animal you have taken has not dropped on the spot? Assuming you hunt?

I've seen deer shot with rifles go a long distance before dying. With good hits.
While I'm all for a quick clean kill, Hunting is an imperfect sport, and we are imperfect beings. I'm guessing every animal you have taken has not dropped on the spot? Assuming you hunt?
Yes, we are imperfect in many ways. Actually that is not correct about my deer. My deer dropped in their tracks. However, my longest shot has been 50 yds? and I used a WIn .270. Never used a ML. I also always shot from a stable sitting, kneeling or semi prone braced position, with a scoped firearm(2.5 Lyman Alaskan) good field of view. The .270 had more than enough uuummph for a deer. Other than the weather which was rarely cooperating. there were no impediments

Awesome..wonderful solution. Have your wife explain to you how brutal an existence it is in the life cycle of deer, and how a deer that is suffering, or elk, or antelope…almost never survives January and February…
Years back during rifle season a doe deer came by me with the right front leg about the joint area all but shot off it was a fresh shot. I thought about shooting her to end her suffering but decided to let nature take its course, kept a eye on her well after the season ended and then lost track of her, Come the next year hunting season seen her with two yearlings, and for at least the next three years she also had fawns with her. After that lost track of her, When she was just walking she would limp but on the full run when spooked she could run just as good as a four legged deer. I am not a bow hunter for the reason I believe there are a lot of deer that are badly shot (gut shot that type of things) and do suffer and ultimatley die a long and painful death. Its not a easy life for any wild animal but they are tougher than a lot of folks think.

I remember seeing a home movie at my aunt and uncles house in about 1965. He had filmed a White Tail buck slowly walking along with an arrow stuck through its neck. That made a real impression on me.

me and the wife went yesterday evening, i saw nothing, she saw 11 does! and a 4-point buck, sept. 15th and beyond i will be taking some of those does out!

Last edited:
you have no idea what you are talking about! and no wonder "you people" have a 2 week deer season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
our two week seasons are part of why we have a superior herd. you people need to understand that. in illinois we have deer that you people will only see in your dreams . unfortunately we have politicians that are thieves and gangsters . see how things balance out .

our two week seasons are part of why we have a superior herd. you people need to understand that. in illinois we have deer that you people will only see in your dreams . unfortunately we have politicians that are thieves and gangsters . see how things balance out .
and "you people" need to understand that in SC we have freedom that "you people" will only see in your dreams. and we don't have liberal politicians here (for the most part) ordering us what we can and cannot do! they work for us, we are not their property! enjoy your 2-week season, and i will enjoy my 4 1/2-month season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
and "you people" need to understand that in SC we have freedom that "you people" will only see in your dreams. and we don't have liberal politicians here (for the most part) ordering us what we can and cannot do! they work for us, we are not their property! enjoy your 2-week season, and i will enjoy my 4 1/2-month season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
the basic is that your ruining your deer herd .

Back