• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Season Check-up Contest, Nov./Dec. 2011

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Gotta get them deer huntin' guns out and check the sights anyway so you might as well join in on this here contest! Yeah, I know, some of you lucky fellers have already been out and got your deer. And some of you missed... Here's your chance to show us why. :grin:

This months contest will be a 3-parter. You can shoot one, two, or all 3 parts. Each part will be scored individually PLUS I will figger out who won the agg if we get any folks who shot all 3. :thumbsup:

Part One is a rested rifle contest.
You will shoot 3 shots at 100 yards from a rest. Or offhand if you prefer.

Part Two is a rested smoothbore contest.
You will shoot 3 shots at 50 yards from a rested position. Or offhand if you prefer.

Part Three is a rested pistol contest.
You will shoot 3 shots at 25 yards from a rested position. Or offhand if you prefer.

NO DO-OVERS! One try only at each target! This is to check your deer hunting guns and deer don't let you practice and send in your best shots either. :wink:

The target for each contest is a standard sheet of 8.5" x 11" printer paper with an X drawn thru the center. You may draw the X any size you like or add any other aiming points you like. Center of the paper, regardless of aiming point, is the target and will be determined by the judge.
Use a separate target for each part of the contest if shooting multiple parts.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading firearms are allowed. Use a rifle, and/or a smoothbore, and/or a muzzleloading handgun/revolver (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock or earlier style ignition.

Smoothbores may be used for the rifle competition.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

One target entry per member.

3 shots per target.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 3 holes will be disqualified.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

Each shot will be measured from the center of the hole to the center of the paper.

The center of the paper will be determined by the judge.

The total of all 3 shot measurements will be added together to determine final score for each part. All 3 scores will be added for the agg.

Judges decisions are final.

Each members score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Aim Small.

Your member screen name and which contest you are shooting in must be written on your target so we know who won.

The contest runs thru [strike]November[/strike] December, 2011.

Mail your target in time that it will be received by [strike]November 30[/strike]December 31, 2011 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Multiple members can send their targets in the same envelope if shooting together.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

OK, I'll do #1 & #3!

Be interesting to see how my little .36 does at 100 yards! :idunno: Of course I don't really plan on using either on deer either!

I'm in for number #1, though I don't know if I can even SEE a sheet of paper at a hundred yards! :(

Diesel, Yours can be a jackalope season check-up target. :haha:

armakiller, Does AL. have any 100 yard in a row stretches without thick brush? :hmm: I hope so.
You'll do fine. :thumbsup:

Are you payin' attention Roy?
Diesel needs a smoothie. armakiller needs a smoothie and a pistol... :wink:

Well as I am not going to be able to do any of the other contests I should be able to do this one. It sounds like a fun trip to the range!

Jethro, I fired parts 2 & 3 of the DSCU today and will mail you the targets tomorrow. The bad news is that I did terribly with the revolver, a Ruger Old Army (Maybe I shouldn't have used FFg?). Oddly enough, I did real well with a Ruger Super Blackhawk the other day at the same distance. The better news is that my first outing @ 50 yd. with my Trade Gun (no rear sight) wasn't a disaster. With some fine tuning of the load and a bit of filing of the front sight, things are bound to improve.

Whoa! This one will be a toughy. I'm in for all three but will turn what I get even if it's less than all three. :bow:

After thinkin' on this for a while I have decided to extend the cut-off date until the end of the year. With deer season, and the holidays, and bad weather, and 3 targets to shoot, with 3 different guns, I figger some folks might need the extra time... :wink:

O.k. if it runs to the end of the year I am in on #1. Thought that I might get to shoot this weekend - wifey corrected that wrong-minded thinking for me... :(

I do have a problem tho' My .58 sometimes leaves powder burns on the paper!! Just like it was closer than 100 yard to the target.... :idunno:

I shot #1 & #3 today . . . kinda breezy, but I had to get it done, we have a storm coming in this weekend, and next week I'm leaving for VT till the beginning of Dec, as soon as I get back, I start my new job in WI, not sure when else I could get this done . . . I didn't do real good . . . but it is what it is . . . :idunno:

I could not even SEE the silly Jackalope, just a white blob down there 100 yards away . . . I tried to lob them in towards the middle area . . . :surrender:

Wish this was my first three shots . . . I did shoot a few extra's to see if I could do better than the "Official" one I'm sending in tomorrow . . . This is the best I did! But I had FUN! This is about a 4" group at 100 yards with a little .36 in the wind! :haha: I don't usually shoot much past 50 yards . . .

100Yards.jpg

Im in for number 1 & 3. I dont have a smoothie. This will be my first postal shoot. :thumbsup:

Jim

Back