• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer processors in the Adirondacks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know of any deer processors/butchers in the Long Lake/Newcomb area? Because of CWD, any deer brought back into Virginia needs to be deboned and wrapped.

Thanks in advance for any information.

I hunt right around there often at my pal's cabin. Faced with the same problem I do it partway myself.
Remove the t loins and backstraps. Just butterfly the quarters open and remove the bone. Take the neck roast off the neck. I pack the meat in oversized plastic food bags sold by poultry supply houses for possessed turkeys. Write your license number on each bag and pack them on ice.
When I get back to Maine, I finish the processing in my warm, comfortable kitchen. No bones or brain matter crossing state lines. ;)

A second nod to MIllers, but most likely you are going to have a considerable wait for the meat ...days to a week or so. When I hunted Georgia, it was quick and easy to quarter, debone and wrap the three deer I had. I just used 33 qt clear garbage bags to double wrap the meat. Granted, the three deer from Georgeia equaled out to the size of one good southern tier doe in upstate NY.

A second nod to MIllers, but most likely you are going to have a considerable wait for the meat ...days to a week or so. When I hunted Georgia, it was quick and easy to quarter, debone and wrap the three deer I had. I just used 33 qt clear garbage bags to double wrap the meat. Granted, the three deer from Georgeia equaled out to the size of one good southern tier doe in upstate NY.
This is true, it will take a few days with Millers. But if you have the time I think they are worth it. They will do basic cutting to making all kinds of good stuff from the meat, whatever your preference. Snack sticks, hot dogs, sausage, Watson burgers, the list goes on and all are very good

Have you tried doing it yourself? There are pretty much mo processors in my country for recreational hunters. So if you want to eat game you need to do it yourself.

It's pretty straight forward and for me, enjoyable also. I consider it part of the hunting experience.

Been cuttting up deer since I started hunting them with my dad, the equipment is minimal the biggest problem is grinding the trimmings for burger, over the years we gathered all the equipment needed to do the chore, he passed a few years back and I built a building dedicated one end for a butcher shop, all stainless steel bench,stuffer, hobart grinder, meat saws and knives along with a smoker he made that will smoke 60 lbs of sausage at a time, dehydrator for jerkey. It is not a hard process. As Bushfire said I consider it part of hunting and I know the meat is mine and processed cleanly. I have seen deer processors with piles of deer laying on the ground waiting to be processed and who knows whos other meat is in the burger besides yours, Time wise from the field dressing to skinned split down the back washed out with clean cold water and in the cooler has never been over 4 hours. if you do not have a dedicated butchering place find a folding table thats pretty well constructed, a hand grinder a meat saw and a good sharp butcher knife and a 5 gal. bucket of cold water I think you will be surprised at how well the process goes. I have cut up antelope in wyoming with the equipment mentioned under a wagon shed. Good luck.

Back