• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Deer Hide Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put contact sprayed on leather. Lay on table put some heavy on top of it let dry .then sew edge then put a little tea to stan ticking

Jerry: Some of that Gorilla glue expands, even "bubbles" as it dries. I'd either just sew it in place or use barge cement. If you just sew- you have two materials the ticking and the deer hide. When you glue, that changes everything- one solid, thicker material that in my opinion is far superior. As stated, use a brush or spreader- like an old credit card, and coat the deer hide and carefully push on the ticking- the big thing here is no wrinkles or air pockets between the two. Take plenty of time getting them in place. Then I'd sew inside out and turn the thing right side out so that it tends to balloon open. If that makes sense.

Thank you all for the feedback. I intend to try the spray adhesive first. I also found some very thin, half inch wide leather used as bias tape to roll over the edges. I will see how it all works out. This is my first attempt at this!

Jerry

Following "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" by T.C. Albert along with a DVD "Recreating the Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" by Ken Scott I came up with this one using German Tanned Bucksin for back panel, gussets, pockets, and straps. The front panel is Groundhog and the front flap is half Groundhog and half Buckskin.

Following their instructions I cut the Fabric same as the pouch parts and glued them together, setting aside to dry as I went. While Ken says he used White Glue i chose to use BARGE, it's a bit harder to work with but I feel best in long term use. I only glued along the edges myself but again Ken glued all over if I recall (been a few years now).
**the black mark on inside of flap is dye that bled from the Indigo blue linen thread. The red beads is me practicing with beads, next I want to quill the rest...maybe.

Its seen a bit of use and holding up just fine.
**the strap is buckskin sewed over canvas so it dont stretch

Attachments

• 20200821_132848.jpg
    20200821_132848.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200821_132622.jpg
    20200821_132622.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 48
I have also made a belt pouch for my wife and myself the same way using Elk and Buckskin with pillow ticking for inner lining.
And using Staples to hold the pieces together as you sew is a Great help as well, keeps thing from slipping on you and the holes close right up when removed.

Back