• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Hide Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraham1

40 Cal
Reaction score
All,

I have a piece of tanned deer hide that is large enough to make a small hunting bag. However, it is very thin, which will probably lose the shape of the bag rather quickly by stretching I have read that you can line the hide with pillow ticking, I have the ticking also. The question I have is, what is the best way to attach the pillow ticking to the deer hide when making the bag? Glue it, if so, glue all the ticking or just the edges? Will spray-on fabric glue work? Stich the edges? Or both, glue and stich? Or is there a better way? Thanks.

Jerry

My necessary bag has a full-size cloth pouch inside the bag, buttoned along the top of the pouch. Buttons on the main bag, and holes in the pouch. Just one of many possibilities.

Never heard of the button method. Interesting, what about any pockets inside the bag? Or are there none in yours?

Jerry

All,

I have a piece of tanned deer hide that is large enough to make a small hunting bag. However, it is very thin, which will probably lose the shape of the bag rather quickly by stretching I have read that you can line the hide with pillow ticking, I have the ticking also. The question I have is, what is the best way to attach the pillow ticking to the deer hide when making the bag? Glue it, if so, glue all the ticking or just the edges? Will spray-on fabric glue work? Stich the edges? Or both, glue and stich? Or is there a better way? Thanks.

Jerry
Sew your shape and then wax it.
Put in oven at 180 f and let get warm. Meanwhile melt beeswax, just enough to be liquid but not too hot. Use el cheapo paintbrush to paint skin. Return to oven and then repeat several time. This will make it very solid.
Light vegi tan goat skin here
D8448AE4-1D9F-4217-857F-27CA0241E449.jpeg
EF78C08A-8E86-4F9F-A1DB-956067FAFDDD.jpeg
2666300C-F84A-41DD-B556-6D7F06793441.jpeg

My necessary bag is cloth, so it's easy to add the buttons.
It doesn't have any interior pockets, but they would be easy to add to the pouch.
The leather bag (above) is more like what you described. I really like it!
I would wash any cloth before using, to shrink it.
Show us what you end up doing!IMG_6764.JPG

I like gluing the cloth liners in, it seems to reinforce the leather. The spray on adhesives work well, you can also use a stapler to hold two pieces of leather in position while you sew. I find it makes things easier. Take the staples out when your done and the holes will disappear in a couple of days.

Last edited:
I like gluing the cloth liners in, it seems to reinforce the leather. The spray on adhesives work well, you can also use a stapler to hold two pieces of leather in position while you sew. I find it makes things easier. Take the staples out when your done and the holes will disappear in a couple of days.
I too like the glued-in method but I use contact cement for that purpose. The only downside is the glue discolors the cloth if you're using pillow ticking. As an alternative, I use brown canvas which doesn't show through as bad.

Thanks all for the info. I plan on doing a little more research on this, but believe I will use spay adhesive and stitching. I will roll the pillow ticking so no exposed edges are there to be frayed.

Jerry

Use a glue stick, glue the ticking to the leather, sew bag inside out, when done turn it right side out. There should be no edges to fray.

When you glue the liner to the leather you create a laminated product- like plywood and this laminated material is stronger than the two kept separate. Use BARGE cement, flexible, waterproof. Ace has it for around $8 a tube. I think on the original bags there were sewn in pockets and decorative stitching that held the leather and liner in place. I have tried hide glue out of being period correct and in a light rain no trouble but if the leather gets completed soaked the hide glue will fail however if you stuff the wet bag with rags, the thing will re-glue itself when the leather dries. This may be taking PC things too far. I'd use Barge cement.
This lined bag has another benefit- it is easier to find small items, the light cloth makes the small things stand out better. The cloth lined bag is an excellent bag- my favorite.

I was looking at the Gorilla spray adhesive, but you think Barge is better? I was only going to roll those portions of the ticking that were exposed to a lot of wear. Like the edge if the front flap and the pockets. The rest will be sewn inside out against another piece. Are you saying don't rI'll any of it, just glue it?

Jerry

The bag I posted was glued with Barge contact cement. I normally buy it by the gallon and pour it into a glue pot that has a brush that is adjustable for depth.
Cut your leather to the desired shape place it on whatever fabric you decide on trace around it with chalk coat both pieces well with the glue and let the glue extend past the line on the fabric.
Once the pieces are tacky place the leather on the fabric and roll with a rolling pin or tap lightly with a rawhide mallet. when dry cut around the leather and sew it together inside out.
IMGP0017.JPG

Get some tanned goat hide from Crazy Crow it's about 1 2/2- 2 oz and glue it's rough side to the rough side of your deer hide and then sew the bag up. You will have a smooth side inside and out. Old timers used to make holsters using this method.

Much the same way, I stitched my bag's ticking lining to the leather as I was stitching the bag together, inside-out - except for the ticking that lines the flap.

I secured the ticking to the underside of the flap along the edges, then wrapped the flap edge with leather lacing.

FlFubWhl.jpg

GNBm4dal.jpg

Back