• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer down.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I let the big dog bark this evening. A spike(thought it was a doe) walked out well before dark. Bad move on his part. No tracking needed. The rifle is a .60cal. by Clay Smith. 38" barrel. Built in 1991. Bag by James Rogers. I've been trying for a deer since the weekend before Thanksgiving(2.5mo. gun season in alabama). I only have one corner of my 22 acres to hunt.
P_20210103_170119.jpg
Detail pictures 002.JPG

Bigger than he looks . Probably a well fed 2 yr. old. About 100lbs. About all I wanted to lift into the truck. My processor is only 9mi. away. I don't even gut them. He will skin, gut, and wash the bed of the truck for $30.

Nice kill. Just eating size. I killed a lot like that when my family moved to Arkansas. Along with the generous doe tags, it kept the family fed and left the Bullwinkles for 'real' hunters. Longest shot was about 65 yards with an old CVA .45 longrifle. Can't hunt much around here now, the area has become infested with trash distributing, arrogant, dangerous modern types who could care less about the old ways here and should have stayed in the concrete jungle.

Some fine eating right there! Congrats

Great looking gun too.

Things should be getting right down Bama way any day now!
I always enjoyed hunting in the month of January down there..

Bigger than he looks . Probably a well fed 2 yr. old. About 100lbs. About all I wanted to lift into the truck. My processor is only 9mi. away. I don't even gut them. He will skin, gut, and wash the bed of the truck for $30.
Beautiful deer and a fine rifle! $30 for a skin, gut and a truck wash? Wow...That is amazing. Keep him happy and in business.

Beautiful deer and a fine rifle! $30 for a skin, gut and a truck wash? Wow...That is amazing. Keep him happy and in business.

He has an electric hoist with an overhead track and water hose(They call it a hosepipe in Alabama.) outside the door. You just back in and the animal is lifted off the bed of the truck on a gambrel with a roller and rolled into the cleaning room. Then he rinses the bed of the truck. After cleaning it, they roll it into the cooler to age for 2wks. before processing to whatever you want. Cubed, ground, smoked or raw sausage(your choice of 4 flavors), summer sausage, butterfly the tenderloins, etc. Sausages cost extra. Probably be about $175 for the whole deal. I only have freezer space for one deer anyway. The next one will go to the food bank.

I really like that rifle of yours. My .62 is a smoothbore and I can verify your statement of the .62 capabilities. It will definitely put a deer down 'right here" and "right now". Congratulations!

The rifle is a .60. The more I carry it the more I like it. It is light, came with a sling, and since it is 30yrs. old, I can ding it without worry. I use a .590 ball in it and a .595 in my .62. Last year I shot through one deer and also killed the one behind it with the .62. That particular .62 has moved on to Georgia to hunt hogs with its new owner. For big bores I still have 2 .58s, 2 .60s, and a .62 plus multiple .54s.

Last edited:
Back