• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Deep Fry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall, Rancid Crabtree, that crusty old back-woodsman in Pat McManus's books used to say, "What's for supper?" as he tossed some kindling in the stove.

His reason for saying this was, he never knew what would float up to the top in the big pot of grease that was sitting on it.

Now, THAT'S deep frying, the old time way. :eek::D:D:D

I seem to recall, Rancid Crabtree, that crusty old back-woodsman in Pat McManus's books used to say, "What's for supper?" as he tossed some kindling in the stove.

His reason for saying this was, he never knew what would float up to the top in the big pot of grease that was sitting on it.

Funny thing, as in my life I’ve known ol’ Rancid, and Retch Sweeney and most all the folks Pat mentioned. I knew ‘em by other names, but I sure knew ‘em. Been through ol’Pats adventures my self a time or two.

Before those notables there was Corey Ford with his "Lower Forty" gang of refined reprobates who were my heroes when I was young. At least I think he was before McManus. I wonder if there are any contemporary writers describing similar characters?

Add Robert Ruark to that list as well. His boyhood adventures with his grandfather while growing up in coastal North Carolina in the 1920's could just as easily have been about me and my grandfather when I was growing up in rural southside Virginia in the 1950's. Same characters, just different names.

And old timers in the settlement used to say supper was whatever they shot out the back door that was running across the back yard!

Deep Fry Chicken and Chips :)
I think the chicken fat added allot of color to the chips (Sunflower oil is what I use)
Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

E3xjAvO.jpg

Back