• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Decision to make

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get both you have two hands don't you? All (too many) of mine are pairs. Mostly Pietta.
Because I have two hands.
Bunk

Been reading here a long time and the debate has been which is better.

The consensus has been Uberti in the past and Pietta now.

Trouble is, if you don't have a local store, you cannot compare them in person.

"Uberti on a Remington 1858 due to the crowned barrel and dovetailed front sight."

Yes, that does make some good sense.

All things being equal I dont think you can go wrong with either gun. I have a Uberti 1851 Sherrif, in 36 cal, only issue I have had is the cylinder lock sticks sometimes, but overall it's a nice gun. Shoots .380 ball very well. I also have a Pietta 1851 Sherriff, in 44 cal, and the wedge doesnt have the best fit. The wedge spring had no tension, so I had to fix that. Overall, it is more accurate than the Uberti, and it's a 2020 manufacture with a similar grip to the Uberti. It shoots .454 ball. I also have an older Pietta 1851, from 1994, in 36 cal. It shoots. 375 ball, and is the best shooter of all three. This older gun came with no surprises.

Have shot Pietta and Uberti revolvers for years. Both had to be hand tuned from the factory; parts stoned and deburred, that nasty varnish manure removed from the grips and replaced with a decent oil finish, grips fitted better, sights replaced with a higher front blade to bring the sights into play at 20-25 yards +/- and so on. Not a problem, it just was. Recently I bought a Pietta 1858 Remington NMA from a gentleman here on the Forum. It is marked with a CM proof which makes it much newer than any Pieta I've owned. Well, I'm stunned at the fit and finish; the cylinder has no drag mark, the action is so smooth it's almost silent, the front sight is taller and seems to hit dead on at about 20 yds., the grips are decent walnut without any finish apparently, (I've only rubbed in a little Tru-Oil) and are fitted to a T; The dark blue-black finish on the steel frame and barrel and cylinder is superb. Wow, not at all like the 'good old days'! The only gripe I have are the nipples are apparently made for #10 caps, and all I can get locally are #11's. I will be replacing the nipples but nothing else.

Thanks everyone. With luck I’ll get to shoot both, spent a couple of hours yesterday casting. Some .36 ball for my new (used) purchase; and some eras gone which I made into paper cartridges for my ROA. Two hours booked on the range for Sunday morning. But as for deciding which one?🤔

Well, the best laid plans as they say. Trip to Bisley off, ranges closed after changes to tier four in that and other areas in between. New pistol acquisition postponed, all this after I had cast the balls, made the wads and packed the car. All say ‘Ahhhh’😢😢😢

Thanks Woodnbow, I confess to being more than a little fed up now. But I do have something to look forward to.
Stay safe. 🤗
That is a shame bisleyjohn very disappointing. I gather they changed the rules on you but since I speak heavily accented Texan not English-English it is a puzzlement as to what happened.
Hopefully your deal did not go down the drain.
Endeavor to perservere
Respectfully
Bunk

Some people, lots of people, are ignoring the safety rules and think that it won’t happen to them. The virus is being transmitted by irresponsible and selfish (expletives deleted) and extending our misery. I should still be able to complete the deal but who knows when.

thank you for your support.
best wishes, John

Back