• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Decent Flintlock Rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bout how much tinkering to fit?

Its a little work, but if you're any kind of a tinkerer, its easy. It can be done in an afternoon or an evening.

There's a small amount of file fitting to be done around the edges of the lock plate. There is also some additional inletting of the mortise to make room for the bigger lock guts: mainspring, bridle, bridle screws, but it's very minimal. After I figure out where I need some room, I put a 1/4 inch router plunge bit in my small drill press and take it easy and slow. Works great.

I have never had to tweak any of the sears or trigger groups.

I have done a Traditions, a Dixie TMR, and I've got an RPL lock for a Pedersoli Frontier I'm going to convert to flint. If the rifle would just hurry up and be delivered!

Before you throw stuff at it be sure to clean the small diameter patent breech area. I used a .22 cal wire brush with a very thin patch. Maybe flush the barrel with a bit of rubbing alcohol before the next range session to make sure there isn’t oil residue in there to build up fouling just before heading to the range.

I'm thinking of getting a flintlock rifle in the near future. Thing is that I don't know much about them. I do have a few percussion cap rifles and pistols but I feel the need for a flintlock. I can't spend a hugh amount on one and would like it to be robust in nature. I'm kinda hard on things. Also would be shooting it alot. Just target shooting not for hunting. Not a custom job but a good shooter. Maybe you could also let me know what to stay away from. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Please get Eric Bye's book from the NMLRA website; Flintlocks: A Guide For Their Care and Appreciation. It's full of good tips for managing and enjoying flintlocks, I've often recommended it.

I'm thinking of getting a flintlock rifle in the near future. Thing is that I don't know much about them. I do have a few percussion cap rifles and pistols but I feel the need for a flintlock. I can't spend a hugh amount on one and would like it to be robust in nature. I'm kinda hard on things. Also would be shooting it alot. Just target shooting not for hunting. Not a custom job but a good shooter. Maybe you could also let me know what to stay away from. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
I bought a couple of India made flintlocks from military Heritage that worked very well after some tuning they offer a good product for a handyman needing some tuning but overall you can save about $1,000 over a more expensive gun I think I paid about $600 for my French trade musket comp muskets would be a pedersoli in the $1,800 range

You're right, a hugh amount to some is $100 and to other $1,000,000. So I'd say $1,000 is the maximum I'd like to spend.
I'm sure I'm not the first but I can't say enough about my pedersolies. I have the Kentucky long rifle flinter in .45. I think I got it used (unfired) for $600.
It shoots straight out to 100 yards, looks nice and works as it should. I like it so much I bought the pistol to match. The best part is, if you mess it up, it's replaceable. You can buy parts and accessories direct from Pedersoli but most any accoutrements you'd find at a show will work fine also. I'm saving up for something really special but the pedersoli will always be part of my collection. Yes, it's my first flintlock!
23617-c38db23905b88d3fb78946c5ef0c1285.jpg
23616-273a8f20a9b962e48f9bc930ec31fef3.jpg

Pedersoli Frontier. Won’t break the bank and it’s a shooter. 50 yds. This one’s maple so a little more dough but the walnut is quite reasonable.
View attachment 148478View attachment 148477
I can’t speak to the flintlock (although, I have heard it is one of the better ones from Pedersoli), but I agree the Frontier (or Blue Ridge, like I have) are pretty good options. Not as delicate as a thinner stocked Pennsylvania or Kentucky (both of which I also have), but not too heavy or “clunky” either.

How much the replacement lock set you back? Wonder if they make replacements for CVA?
Call L&R in Sumter SC and they will tell you which lock to order from them for your CVA. I ordered the L&R RPL 01 for my Traditions KY rifle. Their website will show you which one will work for your rifle.

I have heard it is one of the better ones from Pedersoli
Horse pucky, they are just like most production guns, not historical, and always needs repair.
I had one. After repairing it to many times, I gave it away.

People need to stop thinking modern, and think about your going to carry this the rest of your days.

Buy QUALITY, which does not exist in the production world.

In 2005 I bought the best parts you could find. I built this rifle with one thing in mind.
To give it to my grandson when Im gone.

I will leave him something that works better than just about any rifle Ive ever shot, and I made it my self.

Horse pucky, they are just like most production guns, not historical, and always needs repair.

People need to stop thinking modern, and think about your going to carry this the rest of your days.

In 2005 I bought the best parts you could find. I built this rifle with one thing in mind.

I will leave him something that works better than just about any rifle Ive ever shot, and I made it my self.
JT,

I believe I intimated that I do not own a Blue Ridge flintlock (mine is a percussion), but that I had heard that, compared to the smaller lock on a Pedersoli Kentucky or Pennsylvania, the larger flintlock on the Blue Ridge/ Frontier was supposed to be more reliable. I do not know that to be a fact. If you had a different, more negative, experience with yours, then I am sorry to hear it, and thank you for offering a differing opinion. I have no doubt that your personally built custom rifle is better for you. I would be shocked to hear otherwise. I guess as a percussion lock shooter, I will just keep my mouth shut in flintlock discussions. I also do not own any totally custom guns, so I guess I just didn’t know how much my various production ones (Pedersoli, T/C, Lyman, Traditions, CVA, etc.) suck. Thanks for educating me.😎

‘Poet

I was in the same boat. I have several BP percussion rifles and a few pistols but wanted a flintlock. I got a lot of good advice before deciding on a Lyman Trade rifle. I picked up mine used from Gun Broker for $335 plus taxes and shipping and I'm pretty tickled with it. It is in excellent condition with only a couple of small ugly spots on the stock that I will touch up. The guy I dealt with seemed to be pretty honest and forthright and shipped the rifle as soon as he received my money order. I have noticed that a lot of folks in the group sell flinters at decent prices, but you have to be a quick draw to get them before someone else gobbles them up. Good luck on your quest.

One thing that is seldom mentioned with questions like this is attending big shooting events. These always have vendors and individuals looking to sell and trade guns. Friendship is, of course, the largest but there are also a couple fairs that attract a lot of builders/dealers/etc. Most states have several events that, while not as large as Friendship can provide opportunities to buy rifles. And, don't forget rendezvous. They always have people there, both businesses and individuals selling and trading rifles.
And you get to pick them up and look at them. I don't think I will ever be able to buy a gun online

I disagree. My Lyman GPR (capper) has served well with never a problem from the day I put it together approx 20 yrs ago! :ThankYou:

Latest posts

Back