• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

December doe…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
On this cold and calm morning I found myself in my woods in the mood to take a doe if given the opportunity. It came just before 9:00. A group of six or seven doe and fawns came past at forty yards heading toward some thick bedding.

The lead doe had more venison than the others from what I could tell. I got her to stop broadside for a shot through the lungs. I watched as she made it a little over fifty yards and gave up her ghost.

I went straight to the house and gathered my 8 month old Jack Russell pup. I’ve been wanting to train a dog for deer recoveries for some time now.

Amazingly, she took to it like a duck to water and covered the track in about 3-4 minutes without a bobble. She never lifted her nose once, literally. Admittedly the trail looked like a red carpet, but it’s a start….

Good luck to all afield, Skychief.

9A2DA79C-3D03-486F-9C9A-AD9F2B3C20CD.jpeg

Attachments

• C37AC5A1-0B71-439E-89D0-F813AB102071.png
    C37AC5A1-0B71-439E-89D0-F813AB102071.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Well that was easy! Good on ya partner.
My that is a handsome Russell and I love the pink coat....err sorry I mean my granddaughter loves the pink coat 🤣 anyway give her a hug from me 👍🏻

Well that was easy! Good on ya partner.
My that is a handsome Russell and I love the pink coat....err sorry I mean my granddaughter loves the pink coat 🤣 anyway give her a hug from me 👍🏻

Don't let the pink harness (mama's choice) or cute looks fool you Nate. Often, her nature suggests a spiked collar! I'm certain you must be familiar with Russells...

This is our second JRT and we've had other breeds too. The Jacks never cease to amaze me with their endless enthusiasm and athleticism!! Totally different animals.

What gun and load were you using?
Great deer and pup. I also own a terrier, and they are very smart and learn quickly.

Hello Bob! Enjoy your terrier.

I used my 45 caliber flinter. The load was a patched .440 roundball, wrapped in cotton duck lubed with vegetable shortening, driven by 62 or 63 grains of Swiss 3f.

Very cool! Sweet helper. Your JR has a long line of relatives before her that has been passing down how to track for hundreds of years. Those Jacks really know how to do it.

Congrats!

Todd

Back