• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dec' '15 Indiana Trip

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little late but here goes. I did my annual Indiana trip again this past year and got lucky. I'd taken hogs and does with my flinters but a good buck always eluded me. Not any more.

I heard about this buck from a local friend who told me right where he'd be and sure enough he was there. He slipped away that day without a shot but the next afternoon I slipped back in there while everyone else moved to their spots nearby. Sure enough, before I even got into the wood lot he came slipping through trying to be a woods ninja and busted me. He was almost belly crawling, and all that gave him away was his antlers hitting the CRP and occasionally the tips popping up over it. I have personally never seen a buck do that so that was neat. I took him at about 30yrds from behind a tiny little sapling, directly upwind of him in the middle of the CRP. How he never saw me I don't know. I know he smelled me but he stood up staring at that tiny tree (probably wondering how it got so big overnight, LOL!)just long enough thinking about it to give me a chance.

Supercracker and Robtattoo also hunted with me along with some other friends who I don't believe frequent the forum. It was a great time spent with great folks and I think about that week all the time.

FB_IMG_1449531955849_zpspb9qmgus.jpg

He should have been hauling A$% instead of belly crawling. Congats on a very nice buck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congratulations on a nice buck and a fine story. Like Skychief, we want to know where you were, because I will be moving back to Indiana at the end of May. I too have seen deer crawl down a drainage and virtually out of sight. The drainage crossed an open field, to another patch of woods. We had scared them out of one woods where we were hunting rabbits. Keep yer powder dry.......robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!

I was hunting on a "lease" SW of W. Lafayette....this Florida boy doesn't give great detail on his hunting spots. LOL!!

I was using my best shooting rifle, a .50 built by Steve Krolick. I have prettier guns, and I have more sentimental guns but that's my go to rifle when something just has one shot to be on the ground!

Oh, and he was the smallest racked buck taken that year off of the property as far I know. :hmm:

Well done! :hatsoff: I'd love to take a buck like that with my flinter - guess I should actually deer hunt with it if I want that to happen. :haha:

Back