Dealing with mosquitoes

Discussion in 'General Reenacting Discussions' started by BillinOregon, Jun 7, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2019 #1

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon MLF Supporter

Baxter and Nyckname like this.
  2. Jun 7, 2019 #2

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    Still a problem up here. Cigars help.;)

Nyckname and Poboy like this.
  3. Jun 7, 2019 #3

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon MLF Supporter

Ames, I tried chain-smoking Camel non-filters to discourage clouds of skeeters while attempting to fish a high mountain lake for brookies some years ago. It was an abject failure. Apparently they favored the blend of fine Turkish and domestic tobaccos.

4. Jun 7, 2019 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I was up to fort Osage near Kansas City a few years ago. One of the boys there had reproduced the kit of one voyager who left a detailed catalog of his belongings on his death. A blanket a worn blue great coat, several shirts stockings and summer and winter leggings. Shoes and moccs and other bits of clothing.
    A couple of pipes, some tobacco and knifes. A bit of toiletries.
    Mostly course working mans stuff of a traveling single working man. But for a fine woven mosquito net.

Brokennock likes this.
  5. Jun 8, 2019 #5

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Grew up along San Joaquin River bottom, the mosquito's were terrible, mom brought Off by the case.

6. Jun 8, 2019 #6

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

We must have a new breed of mosquitoes. I left a few buckets out to catch some rain water. There was already larvae wiggling around in the water the next morning. Its normally a day or two before you see the critters.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  7. Jun 8, 2019 #7

Baxter

Baxter

Baxter

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Many mosquitoes here on the lake but hordes of various kinds of dragonflies too. It's marvelous to watch the dragonflies zipping and zooming around catching the mosquitoes, sometimes right in front one's face.

theoldredneck likes this.
  8. Jun 8, 2019 #8

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 Cal

Reportedly, dryer sheets repel mosquitoes. Pin one inside the neck of your shirt, and one in each sleeve.

9. Jun 8, 2019 #9

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

When we are outside I keep Carol close by. The mosquitoes love her for some reason. Hence, they leave me alone !

azmntman and Brokennock like this.
  10. Jun 8, 2019 #10

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

40 Cal MLF Sponsor MLF Supporter

:) Same with my wife. If there is a mosquito within 1/2 a mile it will find her.

FYI - The smoke from a smoldering tinder fungus placed up wind from the camp will drive the bugs away.

11. Jun 8, 2019 #11

Boom Stick

Boom Stick

Boom Stick

32 Cal

We used this trick in the Army when out in the field.

Also used a pet flea and tick collar around the outside ankle of our boots.

A third trick some of us used was garlic, either in pill form or a bottle of garlic salt to season our MREs. Some of us were desperate enough to use both.

Strangely, the dryer sheets and the flea collars worked to keep most / certain types of insects away and garlic was the most effective, plus it helped to choke down the crappier tasting MREs. Using all three at the same time was even better.

If I ever get the chance to go to a rendezvous a container of garlic salt will definitely be an item in the cooking kit.

theoldredneck, rcp and Nyckname like this.
  12. Jun 8, 2019 #12

Boom Stick

Boom Stick

Boom Stick

32 Cal

Handsome dog Baxter, what is he?

13. Jun 8, 2019 #13

nhmoose

nhmoose

nhmoose

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Vitamin B-12 helps my wife get away from them. Me not bothered much by them that deet won't stop

Brokennock likes this.
  14. Jun 8, 2019 #14

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Interesting. My brother and I have the same deal. If I hunt or fish with him, I'm almost left alone by the mosquitoes. Following him across a cut cornfield along the Connecticut river in spring, it's like following Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoons the swarm is so thick around him. And worse, every bite he gets swells up 3x what a bite I get does.
    Smoke may help keep them at bay, but, when not smoking, smokers attract more mosquitoes due to the higher level of Co2 they exhale.

Yarrow crushed up and rubbed on helps, a tincture made of it is better. Hemlock (the tree) twig bark and needles mashed up and rubbed on seems to help too.

15. Jun 8, 2019 #15

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Thank you for the B12 tip. I will pass it on to my brother. Someone once theorized some vitamin B might help with a minor "tick" (neuro issue? We don't know) we both get randomly. His being worse, and more frequent, but he also has much residual from a TBI.
    I will definatley impress upon him to try it. Maybe he can get some double benefit.

16. Jun 8, 2019 #16

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    As much fun as skeeters are, I find deer flies far worse. I'm a magnet. My wife brings in 1, I'm dealing with 20. Just stop the truck on a back logging road of Maine in the summer and I have 20 bashing into the side window, daring me to open the door.
    I'll put dryer sheets to the test on them this year. Thanks for the tip. Less likely to get cancer than using cigars.
    Then again, whats really in those sheets?

nhmoose likes this.
  17. Jun 8, 2019 #17

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 Cal

I was just coming back in to mention CO₂. If you have a source for cheap dry ice, put some chunks in a jug a few feet away. The mosquitoes will be attracted to it.

There are commercial traps available that use a chemical processor to generate the gas and trap them in a mesh bag.

18. Jun 8, 2019 #18

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Mosquitoes are a pain but its the No See-ums that eat me up.

19. Jun 8, 2019 #19

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

40 Cal.

Remember being terrorized by black flies on Canadian fishing trips just after ice out with my grandfather. Mosquito netting, taped shirt sleeves and pant leg bottoms were required. Every trip at least one in the group would get bitten around their eye and it would swell nearly closed, leaving them looking like Rocky Balboa at the end of any of the Rocky movies that he fought in.

20. Jun 8, 2019 #20

Badgerfarm

Badgerfarm

Badgerfarm

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I use the 100% deet that you can find from time to time. It's probably not good for us but then neither is West Nile Virus or Viral Encephalitis. Both are very nasty from what I've heard and there have been confirmed cases around the Mississippi river around the St Louis area. I was told by a doctor that blood ph is what causes some people to be tastier than others to them. I have a few bats that live around on my place here but would like to have about a million more. There wouldn't be a mosquito for miles.

old ugly and tenngun like this.