• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dead blow bullet starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made a dead blow bullet starter, got tired of using my hand! LOL 4AA771A4-2ACF-451E-AE75-74E2C48CB818.jpeg

Nice, but why'd you use a plastic handle? Dress it up, go to the hobby shop,, get a wood ball.
I always just used "stater or short stater" never thought of the words dead blow needing to be being associated loading?

A dead blow hammer is filled with lead shot to make the head heavy. The soft plastic outer case is to keep from marring items that you don't want scratched.

If shooting from a bench, I normally just use a small rubber hammer to start the ball, and with a tap, it starts the ball into the rifling. Then you just follow up with a normal starter to get it down the barrel some. Works quick and easy for me....

I forget how much my dead blow hammer weighs, I think it's 24 ounces, which if made into a bullet starter like the one pictured, is plenty enough to get a tight patched ball started on its way without bruising my hand. Especially, if I was going to shoot a 50-100 target Woods Walk.

I was using the dead blow hammer to start the bullet then a starter to push bullet down then a range rod to take it home , didn’t want to carry a long hammer with me so I cut off handle and make a bullet starter all in one, only use it for when I am load developing as my palm was getting sore pounding on the round wood ball starter one wack and the ball is started

Nice, but why'd you use a plastic handle? Dress it up, go to the hobby shop,, get a wood ball.
I always just used "stater or short stater" never thought of the words dead blow needing to be being associated loading?
I started out with a ball, but after bruising my hand a bunch of times, I turned a mallet head, and transferred the metal parts over to it. No more bruised hands, and the mallet comes in handy from time to time.

Back