• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"De-Farbing" a Pedersoli Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello again folks,
Now that I've pretty well settled on a Pedersoli 2nd model Brown Bess kit, I've got some questions about the markings on the barrel and lock.

I will probably want to remove any non-period markings such as "Black Powder Only" or "Made in Italy". Can anyone tell me what, if any, non-period markings appear on the barrel? How difficult would it be to remove the markings without removing too much metal? How 'bout the "1762" on the lock - might that be removed easily?

Thanks for your help!
Brewer

You may want the marking on the lock, unless that date is not correct for what you need...

As for the barrel, instead of removing metal and making a thin spot, maybe you could try adding metal (silver solder) to fill in the stamps and them smooth out with emery paper...

This way, there is no weak spot... :redthumb:

They stopped dating Bess locks in 1764, on 29th of June the Clerk of the Small Gun Office reported to the Board:

"that in the late war many Gentlemen of the Army objected to such Guns as were sett up or repaired with Locks of a late date, which they imagined to be old Guns, though the same perhaps have never been in service".

He therefore proposed that, "all new Locks (instead of the Makers Name and the date of the Year) should be engraved with the word Tower only, and that all the Old Locks, now in the hands of Mr. Grice to be repaired should be altered in the same manner and likewise all the Small Arms which are sett up or repaired at the Small Gun Office."

check the depth of the stamping. On the guns that I have done this on, the stamping was so shallow that the words came off with a handful of passes with the draw file. So I have no worries on thin spots.

Of course, :results:

I have a bess carbine kit rifle I assymbled from Pedersoli. On the side opposite the lock it has some proof marks, the serial number, and says " pedersoli -Italy Cal.75 black powder only" but if you plan on browning the barrel, you can only see it if you strain. It is lightly stamped so if file it you wouldn't lose much. Have fun with your bess. :peace:

If it is stamped shallow enough, you can sand it down a bit with some course wet/dry paper (220 or better) and put some browning solution on that area longer than the rest of the barrel and rust it off. If you let the solution go way beyond the normal "rusting" in that spot and it will at least obscure the letters. Then you can card down the barrel with 0000 steel wool to give it a well used look. Some people then use a cold blue solution and rub it back down to a gun metal gray. I did this to obscure a barrel makers name that stood out like a sore thumb. It can still be read , but you have to get it in good light and in the right position.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
I'll survey the situation when the kit comes. I ordered it yesterday ::

Brewer

I have a Pedersoli Bess kit, got it two years ago, and the stamping isn't really even stamping I don't think, some kind of computer/CAD etch or something.

Anyhow, it is very light, I believe I sanded mine off without any file work. I left the serial number on, but it would look better re-stamped for sure. Not sure if it is legal to remove, and re-stamp a serial number.

You should be really thrilled with your Bess, I could not be happier with mine. It's 100% sure fire, and just handles and carries like a dream. Ignition is VERY fast.

I've been taking grouse with it, and also have been hunting Turkey and Elk with it, although I have not had a shot at either of those. One day I limited out on grouse with it, which was quite a thrill with a flinter.

I slotted the bayonet lug on mine, and put in a blade, and then put an old-fashioned full buckhorn rear sight on. With a tightly patched ball and 110 grains of Swiss ffg it will kill a paper plate very well out to 75-80 yards. At 50 yards it will shoot as well as many rifles.

For some reason my Bess shoots really tight shot patterns.

Again you will really like the Bess, mine had very good fit and finish, the wood is fantastic, and the lock is very nice, definately fast and sure-fire. I will admit that the cock was not perfectly straight, but it was very simple to heat and bend into allignment. The inletting of the barrel, lock, buttplate and ram-rod thimbles was perfect. (to my untrained eye) The trigger guard was not perfect, but fine for a gun that was not custom made.

Enjoy.

Rat

Latest posts

Back