• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Day 1 of squirrel season:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This pistol packing guy (me), pretty darn near limited out. Will hit it again tomorrow at my next spot:

20210903_134046.jpg

Wish me luck

This pistol packing guy (me), pretty darn near limited out. Will hit it again tomorrow at my next spot:

View attachment 92664
Wish me luck
What ? are the squirrels. In my younger day squirrel hunting was my favorite. Here in New England,Rhode Island, it’s big fat grey squirrels. Out reds are little things no one eats or even shoots. All they are good for is chattering at one if you were sitting under his tree.

Yeah, I don't know what's with that..people are funny. Reds taste the same as grays and fox squirrels. Lol. I've eaten hundreds of each. Just takes more reds to fill a skillet than grays, and more grays to fill it than foxes. Red squirrels are much more tender though and skin as easy as a rabbit. Even the old ones. Fox squirrel I skinned today was an old female. Hard to skin and gonna have to fry this batch on LOWWW.

Yeah, I don't know what's with that..people are funny. Reds taste the same as grays and fox squirrels. Lol. I've eaten hundreds of each. Just takes more reds to fill a skillet than grays, and more grays to fill it than foxes. Red squirrels are much more tender though and skin as easy as a rabbit. Even the old ones. Fox squirrel I skinned today was an old female. Hard to skin and gonna have to fry this batch on LOWWW.
I’ve always looked at them as a rodent is a rodent is a rodent. I’ve never been able to tell much difference between all colors of squirrels along with rabbits and ground hogs. Some are a little tougher, harder to skin and have to be cooked different or longer. If I close my eyes I’m not sure I could tell them apart in a taste test.

I dont know the make, but the caliber is .44 it's likely a custom from time gone by. Has a brass carp side plate on other side. No markings at all on barrel or inside lock. Mystery to me...would love to know more about it myself. Wonderfully accurate pistol with a sheared half cock notch. My fix for that is to put a spent .22 lr shell over the nipple and rest the hammer on it. And I tied to it a 1/16" thin leather thong I cut from goat hide. So all I have to do is pull back to full cock and drop the shell and let it dangle.

One of these days I'll get around to fixing the thing. Good pistol with a lot of life left in it. 20 inches long.

Last edited:
That's really neat and quite an accomplishment with a BP handgun! I have a hard time getting that many with a smooth bore most days. A lot of the old timers around here in Appalachia won't even shoot a fox squirrel, not to mention a red squirrel. I never understood it myself, they are all delicious to me. Nice job Rooster! 👍

Boil-em off the bones, make dumplins.

I soak the legs and backs in buttermilk, roll them in a batter I pre-mix with flour and a few other ingredients, and fry them like chicken with green beans, Mac n cheese, and mashed potatoes, and bake biscuits, and at the end I pour off all but a little of the oil and leave the crispy pieces, then I add a little milk, few spoonfuls of batter, and stir it on low until the gravy thickens. Save a bit of gravy for the legs and taters, and the rest goes in the fridge till morning for biscuits and gravy....if I can keep my grubby paws off of it for that long.

Sometimes I also bake a blackberry pie and have a hot slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top for dessert too, if I've managed to pick and freeze some over the summer.

That’s great shooting with a handgun! I hope to take my boys out this week! I may even try taking the new .32 Kentucky flinter out!!

Rooster you brought back some memories, when I was younger(much younger) every sunday the clan would gather at my grandparents house for a huge sunday supper, I was very fortunate too know a few of my great uncles my grandmothers brothers, one sunday I ask manny and jerry why they always ate dessert first with out a beat they both said so you have room for it. My grandmother made great scratch fruit pies the ones with a lot of filling in them.

Back