• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dawn Dishsoap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also thank you for that tidbit on WD40. Way too many think its a rust inhibitor or some sort of lubricant. WD stands for "water displacement" and as far as I know thats about all it really does.

Easier than cleaning with water with a drop of detergent or just plain water? Why does something so simple need to be so complicated...?

Black Hand, I thing people like to make simple things hard or they just like to talk. Cleaning ML is the easily thing in the world to do. Ever one has their own way and one way is as good as another. After all just plain water is as good as anything else. Did the Long Hunters or Mountain Men have Dawn, simple green, WD40 etc, NO. What works for you is fine and if its not broken don't fix it.

Black Hand, I thing people like to make simple things hard or they just like to talk. Cleaning ML is the easily thing in the world to do. Ever one has their own way and one way is as good as another. After all just plain water is as good as anything else. Did the Long Hunters or Mountain Men have Dawn, simple green, WD40 etc, NO. What works for you is fine and if its not broken don't fix it.
The reason I do this is so I can experience what they experienced. As such, I limit myself (with the exception of an occasional drop of dish detergent for cleaning) to what they would have had available at the time. I lube with bear grease after cleaning with water and haven't had any problems with rust...

I also thank you for that tidbit on WD40. Way too many think its a rust inhibitor or some sort of lubricant. WD stands for "water displacement" and as far as I know thats about all it really does.
WD40 was developed to protect the outer skin of rockets from rust and corrosion and apparently did that job very well.

It's really amazing how many rumors, conspiracy theories, claims of damage, etc., have been associated with this product. It's just a light oil delivered in a volatile hydrocarbon which evaporates, but I remember a long, long spell when many people on the black powder lists were claiming it actually caused "checking" of metal, like that of wood.

Too damned many gullible people in the world.

Spence

[QUOTE="George,Too damned many gullible people in the world.

Spence[/QUOTE]

I agree, often wonder why people want to believe something that's way out there in left field but will not believe a simple thing in front of their own eyes.

While I understand that plain water will work and is all that is really needed, and is what would have been used in the period, I'm still nervous about introducing water to my firearm's bore.

I've been lead to believe here that the powder fouling is hydroscopic and the acids in that fouling are what causes rust. Water seems like a bad idea, especially if in a rush. What can one neutralize the acids with? Especially if a truly thorough cleaning can't be done soon after shooting? Does Dawn neutralize acids and negate them causing rust if one leaves a little nastiness behind during a quick rushed cleaning?

George said:
,Too damned many gullible people in the world.
Spence
I agree, often wonder why people want to believe something that's way out there in left field but will not believe a simple thing in front of their own eyes.
Because, for millennia, ignorance has been lauded as wisdom and knowledge condemned as foolishness...

Another thought on water in one's gun. How long did originals last? Not many of them left. And how many of the ones that are left have pitting in the bore? I'm all for tradition and being as pc/hc as possible, but, this is an expensive hobby already and if one is on a budget then one needs to make their guns and gear last.

Another thought on water in one's gun. How long did originals last? Not many of them left. And how many of the ones that are left have pitting in the bore? I'm all for tradition and being as pc/hc as possible, but, this is an expensive hobby already and if one is on a budget then one needs to make their guns and gear last.
I suspect they were not cleaned or maintained properly and used hard - that is why we don't have many common guns remaining. Water can be used to clean guns with NO ill effects - my guns are just a single example of many.

Uhm, Yeah?
Will I be able to explain it all to you? No. I am not a good teacher, I recognize that.
I have said on this forum a gazzilion times,, I am not a good explainer.
I have no diplomacy, I ain't good at that.
I know truth and fraud, does that count? And if it doesn't, then I'm sorry.

"Those that can do,, those that can't teach"
I do. (period)

I really believe that a lot of other subscribers on this forum do add a lot of value without being sarcastic. Some times it takes practice. :)

I think there still are lots of originals around, every little town with a museum has a few ML's in them. They just didn't rust away to nothing. Like BH said the ones that are rusty or pitted is because they were not taken care of, not because of cleaning with water. I clean all my ML's with water and they are not rusty.

When I first started shooting back in 80’s dish soap of no particular flavour and plenty of hot water always worked great. Now something about Dawn a bit of track, but it works great for taking green moss buildup on shingles. My shed roof was covered with about 1-2 inches of moss and I sprayed it with Dawn diluted with water in a spray jug that you pump up to pressurize. After 20 minutes of soaking I sprayed it with garden hose and moss came right off. Had tried with vinegar and water before this with no success so the power of Dawn works in that instance.

Sorry friend (45man) you raised my blood pressure for a milisecond. I started reading yout post and... my wife is Carol and I have very hard water too! I thought you were "guoting" me.

i've never heard of using antifreeze in with the mix?.

I think he means "Windshield washer / anti-freeze" [like the blue stuff] but I could be mistaken.

As the guns got older, many were passed over for newer ones, and passed down to kids and others who didn't give the care for them like the guy who used it to save his life, or hunt for food. And many were later stored for decades out of the house, in rafters, in barns. In short, neglected.
Yes, some were stored in a better location.

When I first started shooting back in 80’s dish soap of no particular flavour and plenty of hot water always worked great. Now something about Dawn a bit of track, but it works great for taking green moss buildup on shingles. My shed roof was covered with about 1-2 inches of moss and I sprayed it with Dawn diluted with water in a spray jug that you pump up to pressurize. After 20 minutes of soaking I sprayed it with garden hose and moss came right off. Had tried with vinegar and water before this with no success so the power of Dawn works in that instance.

Thanks for going off track Kman. My wife asked me just this morning when and how I was going to get the moss off my shed roof. Great timing.....Will give Dawn a try.:thumbs up:

Dave

I suppose Dawn would cut/remove any "seasoning" in the bbl as applied over time using the Drs. formula.

Barrel seasoning is an old-wives tale too...
What formula?

I guess that could depend on one's definition of seasoning.
Some might consider a nitride coating, or an application of hot blue inside the bore to be seasoning.
There's also other chemical "seasoning" methods.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back