• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Davis 004 trigger location

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin B.

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a cabinet maker by trade
living in Western New York. I have been lurking around in this forum and decided to join. I am in at the start of building a left handed Berks/York county rifle with a short (32") light .45 Cal barrel. When laying out the components, I am uncertain where to locate the sear of the lock in relation of the Davis 0004 double set trigger. I have the book: The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle. On page 64 named "Installing the trigger". it says in section 4: "Sett Trigger, Double Lever" This trigger also has 2 shoes but this time both of them will release the sear." I cannot envision how this is possible. In the picture attached, please see the location where I think the sear should be located. That way the rear shoe will not interfere with the sear when pulled back to set. The front shoe will release the sear in either set- or unset position. That's how my Investarm flintlock works. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Martin
1.jpg
2.jpg

Thank you everyone. Another thing is that the trigger bar seems to be too high. It seems that unaltered, the stock would be uneccessary high. Can I just file it down?

Thank you everyone. Another thing is that the trigger bar seems to be too high. It seems that unaltered, the stock would be uneccessary high. Can I just file it down?
Yes, they will have to be filed down. It will take a little trial fitting to get the height right, along with getting the spring adjusted.

Back