• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DAVID CROCKETT 1822 "OLD BETSY" RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN L. HINNANT

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I have a question that I hope somebody on the Forum can answer.

Yesterday a good friend telephoned me about a ML rifle he had just acquired. Like me, he has spent years researching and studying rifles owned and used by Colonel/Congressman David Crockett.

This friend has just puchased from a pawn-shop dealer an excellant copy of the 1822 "Old Betsy" rifle that has been displayed in the Alamo Chapel since the mid 1950's.

The Franklin Mint sold non-shootable copies of this rifle in 1986, but my friend's rifle is not one of these.

From his verbal descriptions over the telephone, this rifle is an excellant shooting copy of the 1822 "Old Betsy" rifle.

Neither he nor I have ever heard of this rifle being copied. The quality of the work on this rifle is very high, suggesting that the work was done by a very skilled professional or at least by a highly skilled amateur.

The rifle is not signed, so we know nothing of the history of this rifle.

Have any of you gentlemen ever heard anything about somebody replicating the David Crockett, 1822 "Old Betsy" rifle?

Any help with this question will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards with a

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Liberal Politions LIE!!! USA Freedoms DIE!!!!

Back