• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daughter's Muzzleloader Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy folks. I haven't posted much but read a lot here, I seem to learn something every time.

I started this project with the honest intention of building a scaled down rifle true to one of the Pennsylvania traditions. Unfortunately as it developed, it ended up quite a distance from authentic (largely due to my daughter's wishes and interests) and I apologize for that, however the important thing (to me) is that it gets my oldest daughter on the range and interested in muzzleloading.

So bear with me on the style, I have two more kids yet to build rifles for so I'll treat this one sort of as a learning experience and maybe choose a style more befitting of the next kid, rather than me forcing a design on them. That way I can hopefully maintain the style.

With that in mind, someone might still find this interesting especially if you're building one for a child. For me, this has been a five year project but it actually still fits her, although she is twice the height she was when I started...

It is a .36 caliber, note this is at least consistent with a flint-to-percussion conversion ... the sparks from a flinter scare her when she's shooting and the flint maintenance was not going to hold her attention.

I made my own trigger and trigger guard and heavily modified the patchbox, to give it the right "scaling". LOP and barrel were all shortened but in a way (best as I could) I could still retain the original "flavour". Yeeessss the trigger guard is brown (more like a Poor Boy) and that's because originally I thought I might use the steel trigger guard as a pattern to cast a brass version... that proved impractical, so here it is...

Single trigger (another departure) because she wasn't going to want to deal with the double set, she's particular. I've had her on DST before, this was another "let's just get the hammer dropped and have fun" motivated design change.

Colerain .36 caliber barrel (1:48) 13/16"; R.E. Davis "Becky's Lock". Stock is a nice maple from Track of the Wolf that was rough inletted for the barrel only. I browned all the furniture using my own recipe of salt, Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar.

You'll no doubt notice despite the poor quality pictures that my inletting skills need work... practice practice practice, I'm miles away. Some of the work I see on this site is incredible and I'm not pretending to compare this to that!

Here it was early on, yes I was actually trying to do work on that Tipton, but quickly moved to the parrot vise with leather padding.
xKsXJBm.jpg

My custom trigger guard roughed in, beside a brass fullsize guard for comparison:
LhWIPiz.jpg

Early days, trigger guard inletted I think I finished the lock inletting here too:
ndx9Ise.jpg

I modified the lock bolster to provide some protection from cap shards, I think it isn't too much? Yes it is a departure from "tradition" but by this point the whole rifle is more of a flavour anyway - this is after I browned it as described:
v6vgNOP.jpg

This picture is horrible I need to put up a better one but you get the idea:
MoypcLQ.jpg

Here it is first shots this past fall. I am glad to say she liked it and we've had it out several times since. I was surprised that I even I found the stock perfectly comfortable, shortened LOP and all:
VI0Zrl9.jpg

Hope you'll find it interesting.

I think that you build what you want no matter what the historical accuracy of it is. If she likes it, and is comfortable with shooting it, that will only allow her to think positive thoughts about shooting it.

Nice job!!

Thanks folks, it's always a "blast" seeing the kids having fun clanging steel.

She's got her own powder horn and possibles bag; I also made her a brass short starter and range rod.

I might add, the .36 caliber roundballs are just plain "cute" :)

Back