• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dates or milestones for key black powder arms and advancements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any practical benefit to a rotating pan cover and while also having one connected to the frizzen?

The google translate on the last lock called it a "Spanish half-buckle lock" for a m/1680 musket. Given Spain's control of Milan and some possible lost in translation details, Italy makes a lot of sense.
The only thing I can think of for the extra matchlock style pan cover would be for carrying the gun in the field. This would keep the priming powder from falling out of the pan or otherwise exposed to the elements. While leaving the frizzen and attached secondary pan cover in the forward position as a safety feature.

Northern/Central Italy was just a guess. The external mainspring operates off the TOE of the cock (versus HEEL like the Spanish). A common Roman style feature. The lock looks like it's mid to late 17th century.

Rick

Here are some pics of my Swedish snaplock. A slightly different variation of the fishtail. Notice the lock plate has just a touch of the wheellock, stylistically. A pan flash protector, sliding pan cover, and separate frizzen similar to the snaphaunce. But unlike the snaphaunce, the pan cover has to be slid forward MANUALLY to expose the priming powder. Like a matchlock. Then the frizzen pulled back over the pan. This gun was made from a kit from The Rifle Shoppe.

Rick
007 (Medium).JPG
008 (Medium).JPG
009 (Medium).JPG
010 (Medium).JPG
013 (Medium).JPG
014 (Medium).JPG
018 (Medium).JPG

Here are some pics of my Swedish snaplock. A slightly different variation of the fishtail. Notice the lock plate has just a touch of the wheellock, stylistically. A pan flash protector, sliding pan cover, and separate frizzen similar to the snaphaunce. But unlike the snaphaunce, the pan cover has to be slid forward MANUALLY to expose the priming powder. Like a matchlock. Then the frizzen pulled back over the pan. This gun was made from a kit from The Rifle Shoppe.

RickView attachment 199216View attachment 199217View attachment 199218View attachment 199219View attachment 199220View attachment 199221View attachment 199222
One of the only other places I have seen a similar stock to that is this light wall gun that used to be in Michael Tromner's collection. Very cool!
unnamed.jpg

When looking for the snaplock I had posted, I think I found either the original of the TRS gun, or another of the same pattern:
snapplåsmusköt, lägglås, utfjäderslås - Sverige, Snapplåsmusköt, lägglås, utfjäderslås, Sverige ca 1600. - Sök i samlingarna

Early Swedish Snaplock.jpg

Here are some pics of my Swedish snaplock. A slightly different variation of the fishtail.
Oh my ... Rick, I think that is just the COOLEST early MZL'dr I've even seen posted here!
Bore? Barrel length? I'd love to see a full length picture of it ... but maybe the barrel is too long ... :ghostly:

And who did the build? That stock design and finish is just phenomenal!

Put my name on it, lol ... pretty please?????

Last edited:

RickView attachment 199216View attachment 199217View attachment 199218View attachment 199219View attachment 199220View attachment 199221View attachment 199222
So, you built these gems? I wish I had the talent, time, tools, shop, and money.

Flint and David: Thank you for the kind compliments. The gun was built from TRS kit #685. The barrel is a Colerain octagon to round, 46", and .75 caaliber smooth bore. What Colerain calls their "1710 Dutch Pattern". Builder was Jeff Miller. It's a beast. Like holding a full size matchlock. Approximate time frame is the turn of the 17th Century.

Rick

Back