• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Date code on new Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a new Pietta .36 1851 from EMP via UPS today. Everything is good on it -timing, trigger pull, B/C gap etc.-but I cannot find the date code on it. It has the PN CIP markings and all that and on my older Pietta the date code is right beside the proof marks.

This appears to be a good buy for $274 and change. I am hoping to break it in tomorrow or Saturday.

It could be on the barrel (flat area on the side by the wedge) or by the serial number on the bottom of the frame forward of the trigger guard. Sometimes the date codes are lightly stamped down there by the serial number and hard to see. Have seen a couple of older ones where the Roman numeral date code was on the top of the barrel on the flat on an 1851.

I read recently, I think, where the date code has been replaced with the actual Year? Don't know if that's true or not.
Yes it is. They went to a two digit number in a box instead of two letters in a box in 2020. Some pistols produced in 2020 will have the letters and some numbers. 2021 on they are all numbers.

On March 9, 2020 the decision was made to change from letter code to the last two digits of the year of manufacture or proof. Went into effect on June 1, 2020. You will find on 2020 guns either CZ or 20 in a box. On recent Piettas I have seen, some have not had a date marked, most have the year-for example 2021 on the bottom of the barrel.

Found it! It is marked "IT 2022" on the bottom flat of the barrel, hidden by the rammer. Now if they just could have hidden the billboards like that.....

I got one from EMF a couple months ago and it has the date 2022 on the underside of the barrel.

I just got a new Pietta .36 1851 from EMP via UPS today. Everything is good on it -timing, trigger pull, B/C gap etc.-but I cannot find the date code on it. It has the PN CIP markings and all that and on my older Pietta the date code is right beside the proof marks.

This appears to be a good buy for $274 and change. I am hoping to break it in tomorrow or Saturday.
Just look on the bottom barrel flat under the loading lever next to the frame. No “date code” but the year of manufacture (2022) will be there if it is like my new one. It is quite small, but there.

My most recent one (a 2013) has no date or date code on the frame - the date is only on the barrel, under the loading lever.

Latest posts

Back