• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Darkening/Dulling Brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a Pedersoli Kentucky rifle that I'll be taking out for javelina soon. It has a lot of brass on it -- nose cap, ramrod thimbles, entry pipe & trigger guard. It's purdy but I prefer to not have something that reflective. What's the best way to take the shine off the brass? I'd prefer something that can be polished off later if I choose. Can I just soak the brass components in salt/vinegar for a while? Or is there a better option to dull the finish?

I know that javelina aren't known for their keen eyesight. But I also plan to take that rifle out for deer & bear anyway.

Not sure why you want to go through cycles of polishing and tarnishing. Sounds like a lot of work.

If you decide you just want a nice aged patina that dulls but also looks great, just rub a used cleaning patch that was wetted with water (not some chemical cleaning concoction) on your brass. It will very quickly give you a wonderful mellow patina.

Don't soak brass parts in vinegar. Hang the parts in an enclosed container over the white vinegar. The fumes are what turn the brass dark. Lots of good videos on you tube about darkening brass.

I always finish my brass with maroon Scotch-Brite and let it go after that. I think its a nice finish and no shine.

To give a quick coloration to brass I use a cold blueing paste. To just prevent the glare on a hunting rifle I just coat it heavily with a dark wax. It not only stops the glare but protects the finish and the wood around it and can be buffed off if desired.

Done. Used the dirty patch idea & it dulled the finish pretty well. I let it sit on the brass for about an hour or so & then washed it off. Still has a brass appearance but just looks a little older. Many thanks!

Back