• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Darkening brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a traditions flintlock. My first flintlock. And I was thinking of darkening the brass, somehow?

Was wondering if someone might have some advice on this. I will be browning the barrel with Plum Brown, and was thinking about trying that on the brass parts.

Suggestions, and opinions, greatly appreciated, thanks, Eric

When I got my Hawken in the 70's I always polished the brass every so often. Eventually I wised up and just left the aging patina. I like the natural look.

Cold blue is applied over the entire item , let dry and then selectively rub back w/ 0000 steel wool. The inside corners should be a lot darker simulating gunk accumulation. I don't over do the "aging"....it then looks "phony".....Fred

White vinegar works well, you'll need a container large enough to hang the brass in. Wet a piece of cloth with the vinegar and place it in the bottom and hang the pieces seal the top and let be for about 24 hours.
The vapor is what does the aging not the liquid.

I bought a TC stock with all the hardware to rework for a new GM drop-in barrel. The previous owner had blackened the brass trigger guard, I don't know what they used but it was BLACK, not aged looking. During the rework I intended to polish the brass back to original and found this blackening agent just about had to be sanded back to get rid of the black, I don't know what it was but it was jet black and looked phony, not aged.

old TC stock.JPG

Done

done full cheekside.JPG

Last edited:
I bought a TC stock with all the hardware to rework for a new GM drop-in barrel. The previous owner had blackened the brass trigger guard, I don't know what they used but it was BLACK, not aged looking. During the rework I intended to polish the brass back to original and found this blackening agent just about had to be sanded back to get rid of the black, I don't know what it was but it jet black and looked phony, not aged.

View attachment 138157

Done

View attachment 138158
Probably used brass black. It makes the brass turn real dark.

I'm building a traditions flintlock. My first flintlock. And I was thinking of darkening the brass, somehow?

Was wondering if someone might have some advice on this. I will be browning the barrel with Plum Brown, and was thinking about trying that on the brass parts.

Suggestions, and opinions, greatly appreciated, thanks, Eric
Start with 10% Hydrochloride of Ammonia in a Crock or Earthan vessel. In anothr pot a mix of 10% Hydrochloric acid (Sharp Water). Degease your brass. Dip first into Hydro Then into Sharp water. Repeat until you have the colour you want.Wash several times in fresh water. Laqueur.. Job Done and Very hard wearing as it's an oxidized finish.. Very good for colouring Copper powder flasks.It's the way they were done in 18th & 19th century. Very P.C.. Works on any Brass Or Copper if properly cleaned. Can even be Brushed on but use Two Different brushes .Plastic ones are best..Not P.C.. OLD DOG.. Brown your barrel in a steam chest with Greeners solution. See "Stell & Harrison's Gunsmith's Manual" Republished in1945 by Samworth ..Once again an Oxidized finish. It's why 1850's barrels can still be found showings Brown..O.D.

Last edited:
Start with 10% Hydrochloride of Ammonia in a Crock or Earthan vessel. In anothr pot a mix of 10% Hydrochloric acid (Sharp Water). Degease your brass. Dip first into Hydro Then into Sharp water. Repeat until you have the colour you want.Wash several times in fresh water. Laqueur.. Job Done and Very hard wearing as it's an oxidized finish.. Very good for colouring Copper powder flasks.It's the way they were done in 18th & 19th century. Very P.C.. Works on any Brass Or Copper if properly cleaned. Can even be Brushed on but use Two Different brushes .Plastic ones are best..Not P.C.. OLD DOG.. Brown your barrel in a steam chest with Greeners solution. See "Stell & Harrison's Gunsmith's Manual" Republished in1945 by Samworth ..Once again an Oxidized finish. It's why 1850's barrels can still be found showings Brown..O.D.

Thanks for the info. Eric

I bought a TC stock with all the hardware to rework for a new GM drop-in barrel. The previous owner had blackened the brass trigger guard, I don't know what they used but it was BLACK, not aged looking. During the rework I intended to polish the brass back to original and found this blackening agent just about had to be sanded back to get rid of the black, I don't know what it was but it was jet black and looked phony, not aged.

View attachment 138157

Done

View attachment 138158

Now you have me double thinking this.

I think maybe I'll complete the gun, and decide later.
Kind of like the idea of aging it with dirty patches. I don't want a fake look.

Thanks, Eric

White vinegar works well, you'll need a container large enough to hang the brass in. Wet a piece of cloth with the vinegar and place it in the bottom and hang the pieces seal the top and let be for about 24 hours.
The vapor is what does the aging not the liquid.

Interesting, thanks. I'll try it with a spare piece of brass.

Back