• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Darkening brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this has been answered before but can't find the thread. I have a beautifully done kit .45 TC Hawken with a nicely figured stock. I want to darken [black??] the brass. Any help appreciated Polecat

Brass tarnishing solution. Available from Jim Kibler, Amazon, and I would imagine a lot of other places. I've only used it on iron. But since it's specifically called brass tarnishing or brass darkening solution, I suspect it'll work there too... :)

Scrub the metal thoroughly with soap and water, wet it with the solution, and rub it with Scotch Brite until it darkens. Rinse with water, hit it with some WD-40, and rub it back with 0000 steel wool until you're satisfied with the color. You can always do it again, if it's too light or the color is blotchy...

Nice thing about rubbing it back is that the corners, nooks and crannies will stay darker, making the finish look more realistic.

add: I just checked a 32 oz. bottle I bought on Amazon. The label says, "Brass Ager," but when I bought it the description said, "Brass Darkening Solution."

Last edited:
Remove any laquers that may be present to prevent tarnishing. Pour 1/2 cup of ammonia into a 5 gallon bucket. Suspend your parts over the ammonia and cover the bucket securely. Ammonia fumes are nothing to fool with. I place the bucket somewhere warm with good ventilation and wait a half day or so depending on temperature. Voil’ aged blackened brass.

Remove any laquers that may be present to prevent tarnishing. Pour 1/2 cup of ammonia into a 5 gallon bucket. Suspend your parts over the ammonia and cover the bucket securely. Ammonia fumes are nothing to fool with. I place the bucket somewhere warm with good ventilation and wait a half day or so depending on temperature. Voil’ aged blackened brass.
Good call, on making sure there's no lacquer on it.

I know this has been answered before but can't find the thread. I have a beautifully done kit .45 TC Hawken with a nicely figured stock. I want to darken [black??] the brass. Any help appreciated Polecat
I believe there's an actual product for darkening brass, I just can't recall the name. It's a liquid, someone is sure to reply to you with the brand. Try just googling brass darkening compound or something. I've used it, but long ago, might be Birchwood Casey or some such. Good luck!

I believe there's an actual product for darkening brass, I just can't recall the name. It's a liquid, someone is sure to reply to you with the brand. Try just googling brass darkening compound or something. I've used it, but long ago, might be Birchwood Casey or some such. Good luck!
Birchwood Casey, "BRASS BLACK".
It instantly creates a black color when it is applied to clean brass. The surface does not look like old or tarnished brass or bronze. It is a solid black color.

My only complaint with it is, it is very thin and it's not very resistant to wear.

As for the ammonia fumes, not only will they blacken brass but they will also create very small cracks in the surface. The cracks are so small, they can't be seen with the naked eye but they are there. This isn't usually a problem with our muzzleloader parts but if the brass part is under stress, like a brass spring or the threads on a brass screw, the little cracks can turn into big ones causing the part to fail.

Back