• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

darken incsied carving?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean E Bug

32 cal. or less
Reaction score
Watching some recent I love muzzleloading videos and I have noticed that the incised carving on the rifles is visibly darker than the finish around it. Creates a great contrast and lets you see the details better. I was wondering how this was done. Is it wood burning or using a different stain or pigment in the carving?
1683292812597.png

1683292782249.png

The end grain exposed by the cut will take more stain and get darker in the normal process. Nothing is done differently when building 'as new'. Aging or antiquing is another story and one I am not qualified to speak to.

Some people use a pencil in the grooves and around the outline of raised carving to heighten the contrast. I suggest you do your own science experiments on scrap before proceeding though. There's a million ways to do it, including as above, just letting the stain darken it naturally. If you knock back the stain on the raised areas with steel wool that will also heighten the contrast.

Back