• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DARK stock finish!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCarp

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What's a good method to achieve a VERY dark, or even black, finish on a musket or fowler stock? I've heard of Kiwi shoe paste, leather dye, etc. This John Bosh piece shows what I have in mind:

aag-388_2.jpg

Longsmoke said:
What wood are you using?

Bruce Everhart

Actually, I'm buying one of the Indian-made dog-lock muskets, and I'll definitely be refinishing the stock to darken it. The wood is almost certainly teak.
Of course, simply painting the stock would be authentic, too....

If you just MUST have black then just paint it.

Besides, the English painted gunstocks. Some black, some brown. I've seen a 19th century trade gun with the stock painted black(ish), and a very neat mid 17th century English carbine painted brown.

To each his own, but why bury any nice grain ( even Teak is interesting to look at) with dark stains or paints??

I wish I had a hundred dollar bill for every stock I have refinished for friends, where I removed whatever finish/stain/paint was on the stock only to find some very nice grain. When I did a few " tricks" to bring out the grain, and then finish the stock appropriately, the owners always liked the " new " stock better than what they gave me. Most didn';t recognize their own gun. One man insisted on checking the serial number on the gun with his records! All have reported the Oohs and Ahhs from family, friends, and hunting companions on their " new " gun.

If you really want dark wood, I vote with those who suggest you just paint the stock black, and be done with it.

On original guns, the dark stocks are often( altho not always) black walnut to begin with, and then have seen dozens of coats of linseed oil rubbed into them over the years. UV light darkens these finished, and dust, dirt, and grime, contribute to darkening the finishes so the stocks look black in the museums where we now see them.

Clean those finishes with " Homer Formby's" cleaners, for example, and you see the wood grain that has been there all the time. Most people are surprised at how dark varnish and oil finishes will get over time from just being exposed to light. Lacquer is no better.

There are some synthetic finishes now that have UV blockers that don't darken with age and exposure, but they are not appropriate for use on these replica firearms. They are popular with wooden boat builders, and owners.

Best wishes to you on this project. I just don't like Black stocks! :hatsoff:

SUPPOSEDLY, the "Brown Bess" got it's moniker because the wood was left natural color, whereas earlier English muskets were painted black. Now, I have not seen one of these earlier guns painted black, and don't know if the story is true or not at all, but that's what "they" say....

If you want to duplicate that dark walnut finish, I recommend using Fiebings dark brown leather dye-- get it at any Tandy's. If your really want to get it as dark as shown above, apply a couple of coats, letting each coat dry overnight. It is alcohol based so it dries to the touch quickly. Within an hour of applying each coat, buff with a soft cloth, then let it dry. After the last coat is dry, rub in boiled linseed oil-- it will take more than one coat, but even with the first coat, it will bring out the grain and color, but will still be dark, if you applied at least a couple of coats of the Fiebings. I think this method will get you to the point you want-- sort of the look of old dark reddish walnut.

Back