• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dark side of the shotgun wad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have Circle Fly brand wads in 19 and 12 gauge. These are fiber cushion wads. There black on one side and brown (same color as body) on the other. Is there a significance to the dark side?

Not sure what brand I have but one side is slightly harder, that is the base to which the softer fiber material is adhered to. It may be a different color but I never really noticed. You should be able to see that one side is slightly compressed around the edges, that would be the top where the cutter presses down on the material.

It’s the dark side of the moon…

Wrong or right, the wads I have I think are Circle Fly… Dark on one side.

It seems harder ,so I load it dark side down.. Thinking it scrapes the bore as it goes down..

I have Circle Fly brand wads in 19 and 12 gauge. These are fiber cushion wads. There black on one side and brown (same color as body) on the other. Is there a significance to the dark side?
I think those wads are punched out of 4’ x 8’ sheets of insulation board used in the construction industry. The dark side has some kind of slightly weather resistant coating applied at the factory.

Back