• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Daniel Boone TV show historical accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look close most of the rifles are trapdoor Springfield with a non functioning frizzen stuck to the side of the lock plate. Still, they are fun to watch. Wouldn't have missed it as a kid.
Hollywood loves their Springfield trapdoors, the yankees in The Horse Soldiers are all using trapdoor carbines........... 🤣

Hollywood loves their Springfield trapdoors, the yankees in The Horse Soldiers are all using trapdoor carbines........... 🤣
Yes, they did.......
DSC00034 (Medium).JPG
DSC00036 (Medium).JPG

Daniel did not ware coonskin cap

I recall reading that he probably wore a wide-brimmed wool felt or beaver fur hat, probably similar to the so-called Quaker hat. I also have the feeling he probably dressed more or less like other men of the colonial era, with perhaps a touch of Native American influence here and there, rather than in the full "buckskins" as portrayed in the show. Hard to know for sure, but that would be my guess.

Edit: more like these than what they wore on the show:

iu
iu

Last edited:
I've been watching (and enjoying) some re-runs of the old Daniel Boone TV show. Some of the whoppers include the episode where Fess Parker (Boone) meets Aaron Burr (in Boonesborough) after Burr kills Hamilton in a duel (in 1804). Fess Parker goes on to foil Burr's attempt to seize the Louisiana Territory.

Here is the latest whopper...
View attachment 83222
Good eye !

Did they ever say exactly what year(s) or time period specifically show was supposed to be happening in? It seems like that tried to fit 25-30 years of events into that little time on the frontier.That son of his (Isreal?) sure saw alot of history. They even got to meet Abraham Lincoln's parents. And what became of his daughter, Jeminah? She seems to have gotten written of the show. Was there ever an explanation on that show of what happened?

The Daniel Boon show was a good TV show. As a kid I didn't see any bloopers in it. I have watched some of the episodes in my latter years and have noticed quite a few. Another thing I noticed was many of the episodes were loosely based upon the truth. They did take many liberties with that truth. One comes to mind about the Ferguson rifle. The episode showed Mingo demonstrating the gun's capabilities. Mingo did all kind of acrobatics while shooting the Ferguson rifle. Not once did he demonstrate the falling block and the ability to load from the breech. Still, I liked the series then and I like it now.

Did they ever say exactly what year(s) or time period specifically show was supposed to be happening in? It seems like that tried to fit 25-30 years of events into that little time on the frontier.That son of his (Isreal?) sure saw alot of history. They even got to meet Abraham Lincoln's parents. And what became of his daughter, Jeminah? She seems to have gotten written of the show. Was there ever an explanation on that show of what happened?
I don't recall an explanation of what the TV show did with Jemima. In reality she got married and moved away. My guess was Jemima was older than Israel and she would overcast him. Maybe they didn't want that so she had to go. --- In reality Daniel and Rebecca had many children.

Patricia Blair who played Rebecca Boone also played Lucas McCain's girlfriend Lou Mallory. She was a semi regular on the Riflemen. Then when that show ended she got the role of Mrs. Daniel Boone.

A quote from the Internet Movie Data Base in Patricia Blair's biography states:

"Became concerned that her TV daughter, Veronica Cartwright, on Daniel Boone (1964) made her appear aged. Refused to sign contract for Season 3 unless Cartwright was dropped from the show."

Unquote: It was "vanity" that smote Daniel's daughter from the show!

Even Boone's gun was a converted Trapdoor. Makes me wonder how they did the scenes when he fires it.

I recently watched an Episode called "The Gun". His rifle is destroyed in an Avalanch. He walks all the way to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He orders one with a 44" barrel, a smaller diameter bore to save powder and lead and special sights. Everyone is shocked by the length of the barrel. At the close of the episode, he leaves Pennsylvaina with his Kentucky "Long Rifle" as if it was his invention. Funny thing is, it's the same gun he's been carrying from the beginning!
Fess carried several "guns" each episode. The real Daniel often favored smoothbores for serious woods fighting. Believe he carried a fusil or fowler when he headed out for what was to be the Battle of Blue Licks in 1782.

The ancestors of Danial Boone and Pres Lincoln were neighbors. The Danial Boone Homestead and the Historical marker for the Lincoln house are only a few miles apart close to Route 422 East of Reading PA. The Lincoln marker reads: President Lincoln’s great-great grand-father Mordecai purchased Andrew Robeson’s land and built the stone house that stands about 1 1/4 miles south of here in 1733. Mordecai Lincoln served as Justice of the Peace of Philadelphia County from 1733 to 1736, and was a friend and colleague of George Boone Jr., uncle of the pioneer Daniel Boone. Abraham Lincoln referred to his ancestors from Berks County, Pennsylvania in letters. You can still walk through the Daniel Boon Homestead.

Back