• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daniel Boone TV show historical accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After Daniel Boone fired his rifle, he would catch his balls in his teeth. Now that's tough!
I believe that was Fess Parker in this Davy Crockett incarnation...in the "River Pirates" adavy.jpg segment when Jeff York played Mike Fink, "King of the River".

If you look close most of the rifles are trapdoor Springfield with a non functioning frizzen stuck to the side of the lock plate. Still, they are fun to watch. Wouldn't have missed it as a kid.
Those are common and easy to spot in lots of the old movies and older TV shows. We even used them in the "George Washington" miniseries in the early 1980s for shots that were not closeups.. I call them "flintnots."

I don't recall an explanation of what the TV show did with Jemima. In reality she got married and moved away. My guess was Jemima was older than Israel and she would overcast him. Maybe they didn't want that so she had to go. --- In reality Daniel and Rebecca had many children.

Apparently there was a feud between Patricia Blair who played Becky and Veronica Cartwright who played Jemima. It was a "Either she goes or I go" situation. Needless to say, Blair got her way.

In reality, Jemima was captured by Indians along with other girls from the settlement. Of course, a party was sent out with Daniel leading. They rescued the girls and Jemima married one of those men. I read the story where she tells the other girls, "That's my Pa's rifle" as she hears it in the distance. She used that same line in one of the episodes.

Based on the names chiseled in the obelisk at Fort Boonesborough, Becky (Betsy) and Daniel had and raised many more children than the two on the show.

If you look close most of the rifles are trapdoor Springfield with a non functioning frizzen stuck to the side of the lock plate. Still, they are fun to watch. Wouldn't have missed it as a kid.
as kids what did we know? when a commerical came on my mother said that was so that they could go and PEE!.

That's TV for you, rewriting history one character at a time! But here's what I've learned about historical dramas on TV. They will make you fact check everything and in that process you will gain more technically accurate information that will stick much better than Fess Parker Yelling "Hit the deck" in a shootout with bad guys. ( A WW2 Marine Corp phrase from basic training to put people in a pushup position circa WW2)

so the frizzen does not move / go foreword at firing, it is in situ all the time? thank you for the the photo's, especial lay the close up of the lock area, a first for me. what $ do these fetch & and are they safe for live fire or just blanks? toot.
The frizzen and frizzen spring are a one-piece casting just screwed on the lock plate. The hammer and flint are also a one-piece casting. I've read that the locks were painted a brass like color as it showed up as a dull iron/steel color in the earlier black & white films. Some of the latter variants had a threaded fitting tapped into the right side of the barrel just ahead of where the 45/70 blank fitted. It had a small 1/8" or so steel tube that traveled from the fitting back to where the pan would be. This way, some of the smoke from the blank traveled down the little tube upon firing to give it some realistic pan smoke. It was all rather clever for the time.

Well I finally got to re-watch the DVDs. I had got busy at work. Yes, it appears Boone and Mingo figured out quick reloads in the Seminole episode. Which ironically is the next episode after Gabriel which is the episode that started the thread. I can deal with the historical inaccuracies simply because I like the show.

Mike Finks appears in Chittenden's history of the fur trade. He apparently did shot tin cups off the top of men's heads, tails off of pigs and the deformed heel of an Afro American before he murdered a sometimes rival/buddy. The victim's friend shot Mike Fink when he admitted to purposely hitting the man in the head instead of the tin cup and threatened to do the same to the victim's buddy. Mike was apparently a bit of a psychopathic killer. Also went up with Ashley's hundred men to ascend the Missouri to its source in the early 1820's.

I asked earlier but never got a real answer. What was the supposed time period or setting of this show? It seems to hop around from 1777 to 1810 give or take a few years. Boone was borne in 1734 wasn't he?

In at least one episode a British officer in uniform is featured. Boone left Kentucky in 1799. Aside from small skirmishes, warlike Indians had been extirpated by the end of the Revolution when most British support evaporated.

I asked earlier but never got a real answer. What was the supposed time period or setting of this show? It seems to hop around from 1777 to 1810 give or take a few years. Boone was borne in 1734 wasn't he?
The episodes are sometimes sequential but don't really stick to any timeline. Some are pre AWI, while one episode (as previously mentioned) has Boone meeting Aaron Burr around 1805 in Boonesboro, (after he had left KY for MO).

One of my favorite scenes is in Season 2, Episode 20 (Daniel Boone walks to Lancaster to get a new rifle). The builder jockingly mocks Boone when Boone adds that in addition to a 44 inch long barrel, the rifle also HAS TO HAVE SIGHTS. The later on, Boone's protagonist (an innkeeper) almost ties Boone in a shooting contest (Boone has his new rifle while the innkeeper is shooting a smoothbore with no sights).

One of my favorite scenes is in Season 2, Episode 20 (Daniel Boone walks to Lancaster to get a new rifle). The builder jockingly mocks Boone when Boone adds that in addition to a 44 inch long barrel, the rifle also HAS TO HAVE SIGHTS. The later on, Boone's protagonist (an innkeeper) almost ties Boone in a shooting contest (Boone has his new rifle while the innkeeper is shooting a smoothbore with no sights).

The funny part was at the end when they supposedly give Boone Credit for the Invention of the Kentucky rifle!

Back