• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daniel Boone rifle information

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyblackpowder

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello to everyone I’m may build a Daniel Boone tick licker this winter if I can find some information on . Like what does the stock look like? I know it’s a 66 cal and it’s 46- or - 48 long. It’s brass hardware . Thats all I know . Any information will be appreciated thanks to all

I am pretty sure there has been a lot of bad information distributed concerning his (rifles). First, it is known that the term caliber was not used back then like it is today. The term Bore was apparently their term for caliber. The only thing close to reliable that I have seen was a reference of an interview with a grandson who stated he liked a 29 bore. That has been rewritten to 29 caliber way too many times. 29 Bore is about 54 caliber.

I have never heard him referred to as a squirrel hunter. He was a market hunter and a 36 would have never served his needs. Also, the tools needed to drill and ream a small 36 caliber were not easy to come by in those days.

His brother was a gunsmith and some think it is likely he carried some rifles built by the brother. Do some research on the brother and where they lived and you will probably get a better idea of what was generally carried.

Keep in mind that his rifles and the caliber/design changed over his lifetime and the areas where he lived. I would venture a guess that a Pennsylvania styled rifle in the 54 caliber range would not be far off of his prime years.

Are you sure on the caliber? I don't know anything about his rifle, but from what I know of Daniel Boone, he seemed more of a squirrel hunter than anything. I'd think 36 caliber would be more inline with his uses. I could be completely wrong.
Men of Boone's generation most likely would have "barked," their squirrels with the large bore rifle that they already had for use hunting larger game and men.
While bore sizes reduced over time as larger game got more scarce, I'm believing these would have been made for and purchased by a younger generation purchasing their 1st rifle of their very own, maybe their second.

Men of Boone's generation most likely would have "barked," their squirrels with the large bore rifle that they already had for use hunting larger game and men.
While bore sizes reduced over time as larger game got more scarce, I'm believing these would have been made for and purchased by a younger generation purchasing their 1st rifle of their very own, maybe their second.
Someone once said, "specialization is for insects."

I don't remember who.

Hello to everyone I’m may build a Daniel Boone tick licker this winter if I can find some information on . Like what does the stock look like? I know it’s a 66 cal and it’s 46- or - 48 long. It’s brass hardware . Thats all I know . Any information will be appreciated thanks to all
I have heard that the rifle was 66 caliber. As @BruceHH and many of us have observed, caliber and bore were used somewhat interchangeably. It would make some sense to speculate that "Tick Licker" was a 66 bore or 66 balls to the pound. That calculates to a ball diameter of 0.413" diameter the weighed 106 grains. This caliber is effective on game from squirrels to deer and with good hunting and stalking techniques up to elk. Its not a caliber I would use, but Daniel Boone might. A rifle with a bore diameter of 0.420" caliber sounds more like a "Tick Licker" to me.

Balls per Pound = 66​
Ball Diameter = 0.413160​
Weight in Grains =106.0606​

I admit that larger bore sizes were in vogue in the period before the AWI so a bore diameter of 0.660 would be consistent with the British military Carbine caliber designation.

"Tick Licker," and Daniel Boone's rifles, have been discussed on this forum several times. If you use the Search function on the upper right of your screen, you can look them up and discover what has been written in the past.

As noted above, Mr. Boone had several rifles over the course of his life. I think at least a couple of them were "plundered" by Indians, and I think he lost one of them. There are several rifles in existence which are said to have been Boone's, but most of these are fakes, or at least they are not likely to have been his. Marshal Ralph Hooker, of Missouri, owned a Boone rifle that had pretty good provenance, and he wrote about it in his book, Born Out of Season. I re-read and went through this book a little while back, and wrote down Hooker's comments about the rifle, which follow:

“I carried an old flint lock rifle which had a hand-hammered barrel; it was made by Elisa [sic] Buell around 1775. The length was 5 ft. 2 in. and it weighed 10½ pounds. It shot a .457 ball. This rifle was purchased from Daniel Boone by Byron Ash’s grandfather, who lived on the banks of the Ohio River. On his long trips Boone often stopped at the Ash’s place to rest. The rifle was kept in the Ash family until it was given to me in 1946. It is still very accurate and in good shooting condition.” (p.52)

“I put Boone’s rifle between my feet and wrapped my arms around it and slept. During the night the rats smelled the grease in the grease hole where Daniel Boone had used grease on the patchings. Those rats chewed the rim in this old maple wood by smelling that grease of so long ago.” (p. 56)

“First buffalo killed with Boone rifle at Maxwell Game Preserve near Hesston, Kansas” [caption] (p. 60)

“Now the barrel of Boone’s rifle is soft iron and a hammered job.” (p. 77)

************************************************************************************************************

This was a rifle Boone owned later in life, while he was living in Missouri. I believe he actually lived longer in Missouri than in Kentucky, but that's another story. I doubt the Ralph Hooker rifle was "Tick Licker," but it could have very well been one of Boone's rifles.

From Hooker's description, and the rather fuzzy photographs in the book, we know this rifle had a very long, hand-hammered barrel. Every old, hand forged barrel I've ever seen was swamped, and I doubt this rifle would have been an exception. The .457" ball Hooker shot in this rifle would indicate about a .47 caliber bore. Hooker tells us the stock was of curly maple, and in the photos the triggerguard and buttplate appear to be brass. There was no patchbox, but an open, circular grease hole in the right side of the buttstock. It's hard to discern much about the lock. It appears from the photos to have a round tail.

Hooker said the rifle barrel was signed by "Elisa Buell." I think this is an error, and the name was probably Elisha Buell. This is what I found about him:

Elisha Buell was listed as a maker of colonial fowlers and muskets, 1812 and 1816 Contract Muskets. E. Buell listed as a maker of 1795 and 1808 Contract Muskets.

Buel, Elisha, I Hebron [CT] 1776 Muskets

Buel, Elisha, II Marlborough [CT] 1797-1850 Musket contracts, model 1795, 1808 [Son of Elisha I]

Buell, Enos Marlborough [CT] 1825-1850 1831 Muskets [Son of Elisha II]

From: Lindsay, Merrill. (1975). The New England Gun: The First 200 Years. The New Haven Colony Historical Society, New Haven, Connecticut, and The David McKay Company, New York, New York. (pp. 149-150).

Elisha Buell, Sr., made muskets. I'm sure he was capable of making sporting rifles, too, but I don't know of any. Ditto for Elisha, Jr. I suppose one or the other of them might have made Boone's rifle, but given its backwoods style, I think it is also possible that some westering pioneer carried a Buell rifle or rifle barrel to Missouri, and the barrel and possibly the brass mountings were recycled into a rifle made in the local style. We know a number of Virginia and Kentucky gunsmiths moved to Missouri in the early 19th century, and it is likely the more conservative ones continued to build longrifles in the style to which they were accustomed. You can read more about this in Victor Paul's Missouri Gunsmiths to 1900 and in James Whisker's Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen of Missouri.

Getting back to "Tick Licker," I have read in multiple places that Nathan Boone stated that Daniel carried a rifle that shot a one ounce ball when Boone moved into Kentucky. A pure lead sphere weighing one ounce measures .663", so, allowing for some windage, we are talking about a .67 - .68 caliber rifle. That was a big bore, even for its day. In An Excursion Through the United States and Canada During the Years 1822-23, an English gentleman named Blane had this to say about the bore sizes of the backwoodsmen's rifles:

W.N. Blane pp.301-302.png

Blane referred to several ball or bore sizes. For reference, balls of 50 to the pound would measure .453", 60 would be .427", 80 would be .388", 100 would be .360", and 150 gauge balls would measure .314". Incidentally, the .457" balls mentioned by Ralph Hooker would go approximately 49 to the pound.

Blane's travels took place some years after Boone's forays into Kentucky, but he discusses some of the same game Boone would have encountered. A .66 - .68 caliber rifle would have been out of the ordinary. However, rifles of that size did exist. Jacob Hawken built a rifle for William Ashley in about 1821 that shot a ball that size, and another Hawken carried by John Brown, the Mormon pioneer (not the abolitionist) was of a similar bore size:

John Brown Hawken.jpg

I recently read of an early Kansas pioneer named "Pap" Austin who had a rifle of that size which he named "Kill Devil" (see Plows & Bibles, Rifles & Revolvers, p. 41), and George Andrew Gordon carried a flintlock rifle that shot a one ounce ball on a hunting trip into Texas in 1846 (see Recollections of George Andrew Gordon). The point of all this being that rifles of that bore size were unusual, but they did exist, and I don't doubt the veracity of Nathan Boone's description.

If you want to build a .66 caliber rifle similar to what Boone carried, I think you can do no better that to watch that Mike Miller video clip in post #5. I think Mr. Miller also produced a full-length video that shows the build in much greater detail. Mike is a renowned gunsmith and I would trust his documentation of sources.

Good luck with your project! Let us know how you are getting along with it.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Not to forget Boone often preferred a smoothbore. Believe he tended to carry one when going to battle....

Someone once said, "specialization is for insects."

I don't remember who.
Robert Hienlien writing as Lazarus Long, a two thousand year old man.
lot of wisdom in his musings
Always keep beer in cool spaces,
Never store garlic with other victuals
Rub her feet
Tell her she’s beautiful… especially if she isn’t
Money is a wonderful aphrodisiac but flowers work almost as well
Nerve scare a little man, he will kill you
Get your first shot off fast, if you miss this unsettles them enough to make your second shot count
You can have peace or freedom, but not both at once
An elephant is a mouse made to government specks
A sad little lizard told me he was a brontosaurus on his mother’s side, I didn’t laugh
Some long political ones

Rub her feet
Get your first shot off fast, if you miss this unsettles them enough to make your second shot count
A sad little lizard told me he was a brontosaurus on his mother’s side, I didn’t laugh
Some long political ones
great stuff, though i slightly disagree with the first shot fast.
fast but with deliberation and don't miss.

Rub her feet
Some long political ones
Epic post, @tenngun !

I think Heinlein coined the verb, "grok," also. The man had a flair for language.

Now, back to the original topic...

Notchy Bob

Unless someone or some museum has one of his originals, you'll probably never have a completely accurate description.

There is an ad in the Muzzle Blasts magazine for a video by Mike Miller on building the "Daniel Boone" rifle. It is an educated guess and conjecture of what it might have been. Documentation from an offspring or relative of Daniel says he carried a .66 caliber flinter shooting a one ounce ball. .66 caliber is close to 16 gauge, meaning 16 balls to the pound. One sixteenth of a pound is an ounce. Sam Hawken when interviewed later in life thought that the Ashley super Hawken he built was .66 caliber to reach up and touch the Arikaras firing down on their keelboats going up the Missouri. Don't recall if it was flinter or caplock. Mormon John Brown's .66 Hawken used against U.S. troops riding through canyon to attack Salt Lake City. In a nice book on historic firearms edited by Craig Boddington. We know of the existence of David Crockett's first rifle but I have not found where "Tick-licker" is today. A Daniel Boone rifle was on display in museum in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania for a while.

I am pretty sure there has been a lot of bad information distributed concerning his (rifles). First, it is known that the term caliber was not used back then like it is today. The term Bore was apparently their term for caliber. The only thing close to reliable that I have seen was a reference of an interview with a grandson who stated he liked a 29 bore. That has been rewritten to 29 caliber way too many times. 29 Bore is about 54 caliber.

I have never heard him referred to as a squirrel hunter. He was a market hunter and a 36 would have never served his needs. Also, the tools needed to drill and ream a small 36 caliber were not easy to come by in those days.

His brother was a gunsmith and some think it is likely he carried some rifles built by the brother. Do some research on the brother and where they lived and you will probably get a better idea of what was generally carried.

Keep in mind that his rifles and the caliber/design changed over his lifetime and the areas where he lived. I would venture a guess that a Pennsylvania styled rifle in the 54 caliber range would not be far off of his prime years.
Bruce,
That was a nice report on Boone's weapons. Thank you.
John

For those who are interested, there is a thread on the ALR forum regarding a flintlock rifle in .66 caliber recently completed by a highly regarded builder: Don Bruton .66 Caliber Rifle

I did not notice any mention of Col. Boone's rifle in that thread, and the subject rifle was not intended to be a re-creation of it. However, the rifle is a beauty, and it was based on one carried by and ancestor of the new owner. One of the posts farther down in the thread provides historical documentation.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I just watched the 1966 Daniel Boone episode “The Gun”. In this episode, Daniel walked from Kentucky to Pennsylvania to have a gun built. Movie prop or not, it was a fine looking gun. Not sure if the movie gun was historically correct or not but fun to watch anyway.

Back