• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dangerous Surprise!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Wow! A little while back I bought a couple of older, poor shape powder horns to practice working with. I took the plugs out and checked and there was no powder (I didn't expect to find any).
One of the horns was cracked and I decided to take it apart and see about repairing it. The other one I decided to cut and use it to make a container for my lubed patches. ...Imagine my surprise when I cut the base off and out feel about a 1/4 pound of caked black powder ! Absolutely nothing came out before when I checked it. I scraped some off and put a match to it and it still flashes.
Anyways, heads up out there when you buy a used powder horn! Even when it comes through the mail!

I found the same thing with an old priming horn that I traded for. It was quarter full of caked powder.

I never load a new powder horn with any powder, empty and then mail it for just this reason! :surrender:
you can't get EVERY speck out!.....

Thanks for the heads up...it's too easy to make assumptions when we get complacent :doh:

You probably didn't have enough light to see the powder. Next time strike a match so you can see better! :rotf: :surrender: :shocked2:

flintlock62 said:
You probably didn't have enough light to see the powder. Next time strike a match so you can see better! :rotf: :surrender: :shocked2:

Hey, good idea! :cursing:

Dixie Flinter said:
Thanks for the heads up...it's too easy to make assumptions when we get complacent :doh:

The crazy thing is, I did check... took the plug out, shook it, tapped on it... but there it was!

You have to wonder how it got that way; was the previous owner out hunting and thought the ice was thicker than it was, did he get too close to the bank and a river, did junior think it was a submarine and dunk it in the kitchen sink?

Back