• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DANG IT - The tumbler broke!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that, pard.

This is one reason why I like to stick to guns using a common lock preferably with a company still in existence, such as L&R or Chambers.
The gun is 60 years old that I can verify - maybe a touch older.
So 60 years on the original lock before failure may not be such a bad lock but just tired and ready to quit.

SO - I was up early before the sun greeted us. Got my breakfast and a big cup of coffee and headed for the back patio where I watched the sun come up on a glorious 48 degree morning. After watching the world wake up and birds starting to move around, it was time - time to go shoot.
Off to the local range with the gun wearing it's new lock - about a 16 minute drive - and another 30 minutes to have another cup of coffee with the rangemaster and solve the worlds problems with anarchists and commies. We have the answer - but that's for another thread....
I settled down on the bench and started giving the new L&R 900 lock a good workout. WOW! This lock performs. It throws a good shower and ignites fast. Lock to boom was very close to cap and ball speed. I'm impressed with the lock and it's good manners. A couple of cronnies drifted in and 2 of them wanted a round of white smoke so they shot it too.
Somewhere around ball number 30 or 35 I had the first failure to ignite the pan. SO - I took the time to wipe the frizzen and flint down with windex to get enough soot off to see what the problem was. Well - the soot seemed to be the problem....
Another 10 or 15 ball and the sparks began diminishing. So I turned the flint over and finished off the balls - total shots somewhere around 60 or so -
I am impressed with the L&R lock, and very happy with the function, dependability and the kindness it shows the flint.
The homemade set screw liner works great too.
Sorry I did not get any pictures, I left my phone-camera- in the garage at home.
Overall - I am now home - everything is cleaned, the range box is re-stocked for the next trip and I am settling down to read the forums and have a nice cold Kolch.....
LIFE - is good!
20200929_183521.jpg

Back