• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dance & Brothers question..........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is an original Dance, it depends upon the caliber. The Dance .44 size was between the Colt 1848 Dragoon and the Colt 1851 Navy and had an 8" barrel. The Dance .36 was the same as the Colt 1851 Navy and had a 7.5" barrel.

If you are referring to modern replicas, please be aware that the Dance .44 that Pietta currently markets is not the only modern Dance replica that has been produced in the 20th century. Both Uberti (a one year run in 1985 in .36 caliber) and Pietta (a one year run in 1996, in both .36 and .44 calibers) have produced them.

I am a huge fan of the replica Dance revolvers.

A few years ago I wanted a Dance .36 and had almost resorted to milling off the recoil shields from my Pietta Leech & Rigdon (a parts gun never marketed by Pietta)

Leech & Rigdon 001.JPG

when the collection of Dr. Jim L. Davis (he started the RPRCA: Replica Percussion Revolver Collector Association and passed a year ago) appeared on the market for sale in late November 2019.

In December last year I managed to purchase Davis' Pietta Dance .36 SN C00013, cased set, for $325. (That saved my L&R!).

Pietta Dance .36 C00013  Cased 004a.jpg

Yes, the most glaring non-historical aspect is the squareback trigger guard, but there is a reason why both Pietta and Uberti revolvers had this feature.

It is one of only 35 total revolvers produced marked "Angleton Texas", and in my search of other similar revolvers I have only turned up four guns. It was Dr. Davis' opinion in 2010 that these revolvers were worth ~$1,000.

In February this year I created a thread on The Black Powder Revolver Collecting forum concerning everything I have found about the Uberti and Pietta replicas. If interested:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,560.0.html
As was said previously by another member, I think an 1860 Army holster for an 8" barrel will work very well.

Regards,

Jim

If it is an original Dance, it depends upon the caliber. The Dance .44 size was between the Colt 1848 Dragoon and the Colt 1851 Navy and had an 8" barrel. The Dance .36 was the same as the Colt 1851 Navy and had a 7.5" barrel.

If you are referring to modern replicas, please be aware that the Dance .44 that Pietta currently markets is not the only modern Dance replica that has been produced in the 20th century. Both Uberti (a one year run in 1985 in .36 caliber) and Pietta (a one year run in 1996, in both .36 and .44 calibers) have produced them.

I am a huge fan of the replica Dance revolvers.

A few years ago I wanted a Dance .36 and had almost resorted to milling off the recoil shields from my Pietta Leech & Rigdon (a parts gun never marketed by Pietta)

View attachment 43949

when the collection of Dr. Jim L. Davis (he started the RPRCA: Replica Percussion Revolver Collector Association and passed a year ago) appeared on the market for sale in late November 2019.

In December last year I managed to purchase Davis' Pietta Dance .36 SN C00013, cased set, for $325. (That saved my L&R!).

View attachment 43953

Yes, the most glaring non-historical aspect is the squareback trigger guard, but there is a reason why both Pietta and Uberti revolvers had this feature.

It is one of only 35 total revolvers produced marked "Angleton Texas", and in my search of other similar revolvers I have only turned up four guns. It was Dr. Davis' opinion in 2010 that these revolvers were worth ~$1,000.

In February this year I created a thread on The Black Powder Revolver Collecting forum concerning everything I have found about the Uberti and Pietta replicas. If interested:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,560.0.html
As was said previously by another member, I think an 1860 Army holster for an 8" barrel will work very well.

Regards,

Jim

I turned several guys on the forum on to those guns when they hit the market from that collection.

I didn’t buy one myself as I figured they were too valuable to shoot, and I’m no collector. Still should’ve gotten one.

Latest posts

Back