• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Damascus barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Damascus 12 gauge breech loader barrel. I want to make a turkey gun out of it, since it is a full choke. I have a 7/8 x 14 bolt for the breech plug and the tap . Being it is not octagon to round, I am wondering if it is strong enough to withstand the pressures? It withstood black powder shells.

My friend who had breached over 100 shotgun barrels for muzzleloaders cuts off the chamber. IIRC he threads into the forcing cone. He makes a sort of patent breach, for strength, and installs the drum thru the barrel and breach, again for strength. A 36" barrel will return from him about 32 1/2".

If and when you thread the chamber you've weakened it substantially. I recommend doing as my friend does and cut off the chamber.

Many of his barrels end up as trap guns, and are full choked. I have 2, a 12 and a 10.

Buy Brockway's book on Recreating Muzzleloading Shotguns. It is certainly not a simple process, but that book will at least let you know what you are up against.

Apparently it is in demand. Brockways approach was to turn custom patent plugs that were about twice as long as the original. He picked taps that worked with the chamber size. His theory was that even if the thread engagement was only 50% (accounting for variances in chamber size) doubling the length of the threaded portion brought the shear strength back up to 100%. It also allowed for enclosing the bulk of the powder charge in a double walled chamber. The front of the plugs were ground to fit the forming cone and the powder chamber was sized such that the minimum charge would overflow past the plug mouth.

His book is well written and I am glad I have my copy. He was a practicing architect as I recall and an excellent illustrator.

There is a Missouri ml gunsmith that specializes in converting breech loading barrels into muzzle loaders. His guns are beauties and shoot as well as they look. He has been doing this for many years.

Back