• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Daisy patchbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

Im just now inletting my patch box on a Lancaster rifle. As Im doing this I was just curious as to the significance or meaning of the daisy patch box? Just seems a bit odd in my modern thinking to adorn a rifle with flowers.

Thanks
Kelvin

Flowers and plants in general have been universally popular.

hb_1972.223_av1.jpg

Floral scroll art goes back 5000 years, and was very popular during the medieval era. Early guns as far back as the early 1500's were engraved, carved or otherwise adorned with such artwork, for those who could afford it. Examples can be seen in the Berretta museum and other old European armories...... Patch boxes were just another extension of this art form....IMO

It may have nothing to do with it but a daisy is often associated with "purity" and has been used to represent the Christ child in Renaissance art.

Back