• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

dad's twisted barrel, percussion, side-by-side (late-1800s)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
trying to get some more information about my dad's old muzzleload, SxS. i THINK it's late 19th century, british-made, with liège proofmarks.

attached are a couple full-length photos and some close-ups of the proofmarks found on the underside of the barrel.

barely visible on the top of the barrel rib are the words 'REAL TWIST'. there are no other visible markings (ie, gunmaker, etc). but it does have some nice scroll throughout on lock plates, hammers, trigger guard, and underside (no close-ups of 'REAL TWIST' and scroll work not attached)

hoping someone here can provide some additional information - who made it, dates (range) of manufacturer, etc.

thanks. bob.

01.jpeg

02.jpeg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

I’m pretty sure England had its own proof stamps. Unless I’m mistaken, that gun is Belgian through and through. These plain guns are hard to pin down when they were manufactured. Any where from the 1840’s to 1880’s. People were still wanting these guns even later as cartridges were expensive even into the 1900’s in some areas.

"Standard Directory of Proofmarks" shows the "ELG" to be Belgian, proofed for a standard black powder load. However, the Crown over "V" is British, used up until 1904. From what I read, the gun is Belgian, imported into England where British law required all imported barrels to be proofed at a British proofhouse before they could be offered to the public.

Brits were serious about proof houses. Violations were prison-punishable. Importers weren't above stamping "London Fine Twist" on imported guns nor famous maker (sort of) names on locks/barrels. Anyway ..nice gun.

Back