• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

D-lead soap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One guy kept getting high results and it was finally discovered that he was working with his pack of smokes in his breast pocket the whole day, the soft pack style that had the ends of the filters exposed.

Not to mention that cigarettes already contain lead. So being a smoker alone will elevate your lead levels.
As far as chelates, the whole plant had a strict testing procedure through the Wastewater department anytime they wanted to use any type of chemical or cleaning agent. If it had chelates it wasn't allowed in any area that lead was processed. Chelates would make the lead stay in suspension instead of being able to be separated out of solution, which caused the WW folks a ton of grief to get it separated so it could be shipped off as a solid hazardous waste.

A testament to the effectiveness of chelating compounds and totally understandable in a manufacturing environment as i'm sure their discharge water is highly regulated.
Chelates bind to lead making its removal easier both inside the body and out. Soap is just a way of delivering the chelates where you want them in this case.

In your manufacturing setting chelating soap was bad because is meant lead got flushed down the drain and added to the waste water.
However the reverse is also true in that chelating compounds can also be used to remove lead from water on incoming water supplies.

Plain soap will remove a lot. the addition of chelating agents will remove whatever soap alone won't. Many soaps and detergents contain chelating agents but not all. Chelates also remove other things besides lead, which is really why they are added to so many soaps and detergets.

In your manufacturing setting chelating soap was bad because is meant lead got flushed down the drain and added to the waste water.
However the reverse is also true in that chelating compounds can also be used to remove lead from water on incoming water supplies.QUOTE]

Very generalized, but the bullet manufacturing area had its own wastewater collection tank, so no lead would ever end up getting flushed into the city's system, but the in-house system would only hold a collection capacity of slightly over one shift's worth. The normal process was a WW person would treat it so that all the lead came out of suspension and settled into the bottom of the tank. The lead then was removed and pressed into "cakes" that could be put into hazardous waste totes. Then the tank could be pumped over to a WW truck and hauled up to the main WW plant for final treatment. When chelates got into the system and kept the lead in suspension the tank couldn't be emptied until they were taken out. This would result in possibly shutting the whole place down until they could get the lead to unbind so the tank could be emptied. WW knew what was needed to get the lead to unbind, but it took a while for it to work.

When chelates got into the system and kept the lead in suspension the tank couldn't be emptied until they were taken out. This would result in possibly shutting the whole place down until they could get the lead to unbind so the tank could be emptied. WW knew what was needed to get the lead to unbind, but it took a while for it to work.

Really there's more than one problem going on. Sounds to me like the facility didn't have big enough holding tanks to meet the production demand.

Getting back to the D-lead soap it should be obvious by now to everyone why the soap contains a chelating agent. The chelating agent is what makes it a lead removing soap, otherwise it would just be regular soap.

Lava works well, the pumice helps to remove crude from your skin.
Yep, and work it into a good lather actually washing your hands,, it's great idea.
Hand sanitizer might not works so well.
Or a splash of a special chelating agent with a quick rinse, might not work as well,,
,,as the way mamma taught me to wash my hands before supper.

,,as the way mamma taught me to wash my hands before supper.

That reminds me of a joke.

There's a Navy guy and a Marine both peeing at the same time. They both get done at the same time an as the Navy guy washes his hands the Marine is about to walk out so, the Navy guy says to him, "In the Navy they teach us to wash our hands." so the Marine says, "In the Marines they teach us not to pee on our hands."

Point being, if you wear gloves, lead doesn't get on your hands in the first place.

Point being, if you wear gloves, lead doesn't get on your hands in the first place.
Right,, then what is the need for a chealating agent for common lead handling?
Have you said that wearing gloves removes the need for chealating or soap?
What am I missing here?
I mean honest,, you went directly to nameing surfactants by chemical basis then equated each to chealating,, while ignoring all of the basic use and common hygeine.
So what's your point?
Soap doesn't work?

Right,, then what is the need for a chealating agent for common lead handling?
Have you said that wearing gloves removes the need for chealating or soap?
What am I missing here?
I mean honest,, you went directly to nameing surfactants by chemical basis then equated each to chealating,, while ignoring all of the basic use and common hygeine.
So what's your point?
Soap doesn't work?

Did you read my first post ?

I'm not sure what you mean, everyone else seems to understand just fine.
Can you be more specific as to "what's your point" ? what is it you don't understand ?

Ok everyone, I made a small mistake, I got two chemicals mixed up. It seems the d-lead soap does not contain a chealating agent, it's just soap so it seams. Everything else still holds true though.

Mom was right,, wash your hands.
(I gotta tell ya, if you had dirty nails cause ya didn't use the brush,, there was he!! to pay!)
(she used the yard stick,, and if it broke,,it was YOUR fault!)

Ok everyone, I made a small mistake, I got two chemicals mixed up. It seems the d-lead soap does not contain a chealating agent, it's just soap so it seams. Everything else still holds true though.

I think you were right about Pentasodium Aminotrimethylene Phosphonate being a chelating agent. Although, scrubbing your hands thoroughly with pumice is most likely to be as effective as scrubbing your hands thoroughly with a soap with a chelating agent, I'm guessing Lava is a bit harsher than D-soap and both probably better than good ole fashion lye soap.

At my overprotective wife's insistence, I have a lead check at every year's physical.
For the last 20+ years, no sign of too much lead.
In the past, I would cast 250-500 pounds a year, as I was shooting a lot of "other" pistol comps.
Now days I only cast 100-200 pounds a year, but still no lead in the blood.
If you use regular decent sanitary washing (like bathing every day and washing hands before meals and after waste removal (bathroom) then you have nothing to fear from casting.
The only guys I have ever know to have high levels are the fools that shoot at indoor ranges at lot, contamination from primer compounds is the culprit.
Go pan in any stream in the San Juan mountains, 1000 to one you will find lead and not gold. It's been in the streams since the beginning of time. Yet the bears, deer, racoons, etc..... do not have any lead in them that was not deposited there by man.
Do not be fearful for your life because you cast, you do not need special wipes or fancy modern named soaps to be safe.

27751906_791274794406735_3636464708629345823_n.jpg
They've been putting the D-lead wipes and soap up at our gun club for about two years now. They also post a sign that says we should not put on make up while shooting. This is on the BP range where we handle lead balls and spit patch. Lawyers.

Last edited:
Back