• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

D B SUDDARFF Caplock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxiblu

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just bought a 36 caliber caplock at an auction. Only marking is on the barrel- D B Suddarff or Suddartt. I would greatly appreciate any info on this gunmaker.
Thanks

Sellers lists D.B. Suddarth in Marengo, Indiana (1878-1885). Perhaps some mid-western member can supply details.

That would seem right. I bought the gun in Indiana and the time frame seems right.
Thank you very much!!!

Since nobody else chimed in, here's a bit of genealogy type stuff on David B Suddath .... His parents moved from Virginia to Indiana where David was born in 1831. He worked there in Crawford County as a gunsmith, despite a "crippled hand" according to his civil war draft registration. He died at the ripe old age of 82 in Crawford County, Indiana. I've only ever seen one of his guns ( at a Redding Auction a couple years ago)
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 9.45.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 9.45.09 AM.png

This is amazing info!! Unfortunately the gun is pretty much a wall hanger but the info on the maker makes it much more interesting.
Thank you very much.

Latest posts

Back