• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

d Antique firearms banned in condor range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only Round said:
OK, what I get from this article is that you can no longer HUNT with lead amunition. So you can still at least shoot lead as long as you're not shooting live targets. Hey, lead shot has been banned for years (to protect another large bird predator)- was that a conspiracy to take away our gun rights? I'm sure someone can come up with a replacement for lead balls. How many rounds do you use through the hunting season anyway? OK, I'm thinking big game, small game hunters might use a bit more, but still? Surely less than 100 rounds? So one expensive box of round ball/year.

Many threads here are talking about just where the lead really came from if not from lead ammo. But the article specifically stated that the lead had been directly linked to ammunition. Too bad they didn't list the specific study that produced this link. Was the study itself supsicious? What evidence was used? What type of tests did they use? How accurate were the results? Without answeres to these questions, we're just blowing a lot of hot air IMHO.

Just my 2 cents worth...

This has been is the news for a year now and it looks to me from reading old articles from the 80's . The ammo lead deal was talked about then.
Like I said earlier, how many bullets does it take to kill a "bullet riddled deer"?

It's not just hunting season that is effected. I shoot on avg 1,000 round balls a year.
If I decide to really start shooting clay targets again we're looking at 4 to 8,000 rounds of 12 ga at an avg of 1oz each.

Lets not even get into 45/70 and the rest of the gang.

My peeve is, if you wnat to outlaw my hobby or parts their-of then you better get me a substitute, one that is affordable TOO!
I've sworn if hunting and firearms are severly restricted in my life time...I'll be the 1st one on the Green`ee band wagon standing in front of the golf course protesting.
Now that is a sport of pure pollution! :cursing:

YOu had better NOT take any representations from these so-called studies at face value. In the case of the studies of duck and geese mortality, they had a lab actually put lead pellets ( New- nor fired and picked up in the mud ) down the throats of live birds, in quantities that had no factual comparison to any found in dead birds. They did not take into account that lead oxidizes quickly, that the oxide does not wear off easily, and it does not combine with anything but rather passes through the stomach of geese and ducks rather quickly. It was only in later " Tests" of actual dead birds, that they found most of the lead that made it into their blood systems came from lead shot wounds to these birds, and that rather being a part of some " preventible " mortality of migrator birds, these ducks were part of those ducks and geese wounded, but not recovered by hunters. Those numbers are already factored into the formulas used to determine the length of hunting seasons, the number of birds that can be killed each day by each hunter, the point system assigned to certain species of duck to limit the kill of those species, etc. There is NO preventible mortality of migratory birds caused solely by ingesting lead.

So, be very careful about listening to any of these studies, without reading the studies, and questioning the details. Today, its okay at Universities to first determine what you want to prove, and then set a laboratory model to prove it! ( This is called " Junk Science".) But it gets funding, anyway. ( The Federal EPA, and CDC are notorious for funding such kinds of research, and furthering political agendas with the " results".)

The scientific method demands, on the other hand, that you begin with a proposed thesis( an explanation for how something works, or how a result in nature occurs)< and then you attempt to disprove it. only when everything you can try in your models, and lab experiments fails to disprove your thesis do you write a paper suggesting that your thesis is valid. Then the paper is submitted for peer review by other scientists who are working in the same field, and are familiar with the testing procedures you use, or are available to test your thesis, and they make comments, good, bad, or indifferent. Only then is your paper published. The purpose of this entire system is to rid the scientific literature of Junk Science, and those people who are too willing to prostitute themselves and their labs to produce " results" that furthers some agenda other than science.

Back