• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder Loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received a Big Lubeâ„¢ Tower of Power Stainless Steel Cylinder Loader (http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=1302742a-9e12-41e5-881f-f99340c6d9e6) for Christmas and though I haven't used it yet I want to share my first impressions with everyone. The fit and finish is first class, stainless steel construction with a bright finish. The parts appear to have been cut out with a plasma cutter and then assembled with TIG welds that are uniform and well done. All the edges have been debured and the holes countersunk. It gets a 10 for appearance from me. I was pleasantly surprised to find bronze bushings at the sliding points on the ram and the handle. I have shot various revolvers for many years in North-South Skirmish Assn. competition and have always loaded the cylinder off the gun using a simple loader quite similar to the one Traditions sells but of better quality. I have 20 C&B revolvers, 8 different models by 5 different manufacturers and i wanted a loader that I could easily modify to work with all of them and any I might acquire in the future. A little research showed that the Big Lube unit was very versatile and easy to make new loading jags and cylinder pins for. The cylinder pins screw into the reversible cylinder plate with 1/4-20 threads and the loading jags screw into the ram using male 10-32 threads. One side of the cylinder plate is flat for Remington cylinders and the other side has a grove cut into it to accommodate the ratchet on Colt cylinders. A loader isn't a difficult thing to make from scratch and there are a number available that are quite adequate for the task but I have yet to see one that is as adaptable or as well made as the ToP. It is not cheap but I feel it is money very well spent.

Oh, for heaven's sake... :haha:

TOP-SS-STAND-WITH-TEXT.jpg

We've had ours for a few years now and like it very much. Had custom cylinder pin and jag made for one particular revolver of an off brand that the children and I shoot often.

Just added an oak base, slightly bigger all around and secured with some brass screws just because.

One thing I should point out for those who wish to make there own.
The adjustable base and pins are not needed at all for this type of reloading tool to work perfectly.
On Colt cylinders all that is need is a cylinder diameter bushing to set the base in.
The ram with the correct size brass ball seater will find center all by it self and will not over turn the cylinder when the ball is seated.
Mine works perfectly with nothing at all on the base plate.

I apologize for the two links I provided not working however after I had posted the first I tested it and it did work. In response to Black Jack I reposted a new link and tested it after posting, again it worked. I did experience issues using the back button while navigating the site before posting the links and can't offer an explanation as to why they failed. When something like that happens it is easy to highlight the phrase "Big Lubeâ„¢ Tower of Power Stainless Steel Cylinder Loader" which appeared just before the first link in my original post and then to right click on the highlighted phrase followed by a right click on "Search Astromedia......." which would take you right to the page. While you are there I would recommend you take a look at some of the specialty molds DD offers too.

M.D, I'm in total agreement with you in that it is quite easy to build your own cylinder loader (I have plans I'm working up for a superheated steam powered loader which works on a pressure of 300 lbs/in. and is built up of riveted cast iron structural sections :grin: ) however I have a number of esoteric C&B revolvers and I was looking for a loader that could easily be modified to accommodate them and the Big Lube loader fills the bill (maybe they ought to rename it the Birdseed Cylinder Loader).

I have a loader (but not the “Big Lube” Tower of Power Loader). I have a Harbor Freight torque wrench with settings so you can adjust the pressure. When it hits the limit, it stops adding pressure. I would be nice to use a fitting with the handle in the loader so you can keep the same pressure with each cylinder. But a superheater steam powered loader would be just fine as well as it would keep the pressure equal with each cylinder.

Back