• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder cleaning???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaco24

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m still very new to black powder revolvers, and I was wondering about how to clean the cylinder of a black powder revolver? Do I oil it with gun oil after cleaning, won’t the gun oil have a negative effect on my powder load???

I clean my cap and ball revolvers like all my other ML guns, warm water and a bit of dish soap. And then oil all parts and cylinder's. The next time I go to shoot my C & B all I do is shoot 2 caps on each nipple and go make smoke.

I clean my cap and ball revolvers like all my other ML guns, warm water and a bit of dish soap. And then oil all parts and cylinder's. The next time I go to shoot my C & B all I do is shoot 2 caps on each nipple and go make smoke.
So it would be ok to use Rem oil or Ballistol in the cylinders?

So it would be ok to use Rem oil or Ballistol in the cylinders?

Yes I oil my cylinders with ballistol and wipe the whole pistol down with it. It will be fine, just pop 1 or 2 caps on the nipples before you load them. But be ready for 100 reply's that will tell you rem oil is bad and ballistol smells worst than King Tuk's old socks. Just remember you will read many ways to do the same thing here, and guess what, almost all of them work to the same end.

Yes I oil my cylinders with ballistol and wipe the whole pistol down with it. It will be fine, just pop 1 or 2 caps on the nipples before you load them. But be ready for 100 reply's that will tell you rem oil is bad and ballistol smells worst than King Tuk's old socks. Just remember you will read many ways to do the same thing here, and guess what, almost all of them work to the same end.

And of those 100 replies you will get Einstein scientific replies, hi-tech and "this is the way Wild Bill,"did it.
So if you need a good laugh, read on

[QUOTE="8 BORE, "this is the way Wild Bill,"did it.
So if you need a good laugh, read on[/QUOTE]

Forget Wild Bill, how did the Duke done it, he is the only real cowboy. ( can you say real cowboy in 2019)

I clean with vegetable oil these days. And then wipe the pistol dry inside and out and lube with a bit of eezox. Dry the chambers again , snap caps and reload the pistol for its next use.

So any quality gun oil (more than likely a petroleum product) would be okay as long as its "burned out" with a cap or two?

It takes a lot of oil or time to soil a powder load. clean the oil out of the cylinders first. Firing clearing caps on a revolver gets wasteful in a hurry because there are 6 cylinders. It's also not nearly as important as guns with side bolsters or patent breeches where oil can pool and accumulate. Revolvers have inline ignition and get much more direct flame.
A little alcohol can help with oil removal if you think it necessary.

I clean my cap and ball revolvers like all my other ML guns, warm water and a bit of dish soap. And then oil all parts and cylinder's.

I lube with pharmaceutical grade mineral oil from the drug store or Dollar General - also known as "mineral oil laxative".
It's pretty much the same oil as the main ingredient in Bore Butter and Ballistol, and it's very inexpensive.
I don't usually pop any caps before shooting, only swab the chambers with a cotton swab like a "Q-tip".
Just use a nipple pick and make sure to keep the cones clean by soaking them after each use.
After washing, I soak them in rubbing alcohol and use a toothpick to help clean out the residue.

Last edited:
It takes a lot of oil or time to soil a powder load. clean the oil out of the cylinders first. Firing clearing caps on a revolver gets wasteful in a hurry because there are 6 cylinders. It's also not nearly as important as guns with side bolsters or patent breeches where oil can pool and accumulate. Revolvers have inline ignition and get much more direct flame.
A little alcohol can help with oil removal if you think it necessary.

6 chambers you must have had typo

I use similar procedures as others above have listed. I use barricade or 3 &1 oil, but any good oil should work. I will add, I pull the nipples and put them in a small container with water and a drop of soap while I clean the cylinder and the rest of the revolver. I rinse and wipe the nipples before installing after the rest is cleaned before the cylinder is installed. I also blow through each cylinder before installing to get any excess oil out of the base of the cylinder. Just a thing I do. I also often hold the cylinder up to the light and see if light is showing through the nipple after they are installed. I'm of the pop a cap side before loading group and don't use alcohol. Maybe it goes back to all those pamphlets I read in my youth that said alcohol and gun powder don't mix. :)

I've heard several mentions of 3 + 1 oil on this forum. Its been some years since I used it. If I recall its a fine grade of oil like the kind used for sewing machines. Does it contain petroleum?

Contains petroleum distillates.

3 in One, Lubricates, Penetrates Rust and Cleans, straight off the bottle.

It works well and does not stink!

I have used it for a long time.

Like I stated earlier I have used this product and was well satisifed, I just haven't used it in the last several years.Glad to see its still around and so well received.

I noticed the other day I had a 3 in One small can and the price tag label had Walgreens and the price was $. 29, wonder when my father bought it?

Latest posts

Back