• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva vest derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys I picked up this little jewel. Couldn't resist it. Perfect condition made in the 1980's.

All I need is a poker table and some crooked card players now.

Seriously though, how do I get the nipple out, or more specifically, how do I find a wrench that will fit it? It seems like it's pretty deep into the barrel (it's a side-break). So I guess this 1800's replica is, gasp, an inline! Yet still appropriate for this forum...

Does anyone have this pistol? Can you recommend a wrench I can order that will fit it on the first try? Preferably without having to file the wrench...

Here's a few pictures.

20210709_191321.jpg
20210709_191326.jpg
20210709_191420.jpg

I remember when those came out. Along with the screw barrel, three barrel and a kit I put together ... the ""Philadelphia Deringer".

Man this brings back a bunch of memories.

No clue as to a nipple wrench. The screw barrel and duck barrel had exposed nipples as did the Philadelphia Deringer. I would bet someone will have a hint for you tho.

I would venture a guess however, if you were to shed some light on the hole that houses the nipple, a better view of what is asked about would be obtained. Maybe a flashlight beam into the dark hole and another photo of the lit nipple area will help immensely.

Last edited:
Still don't know about the nipple yet. But here's an interesting tidbit so far:

Loaded this baby up with 8 grains and a .31 caliber ball and stuck it (uncapped) in my hip pocket before I met my buddy to go fishing yesterday. Couldn't wait till later so I whipped it out in truck to show him on way to river.

After we got back to the truck at the end of the day to head home we set up some bottles for a little impromptu shooting competition.

I capped it with #11, too loose. #10, nice and snug, pulled back hammer, and snapped the cap, but no boom.

Tried another, #10, nothing, tried a #11, nothing, nipple pick, nothing.

Finally I told my buddy, I'll bet that nipple needs a little file work, because I don't think those caps are seating down flush, and I held it up to the light to show him and saw the sun, and I said wait a minute...hold that gun up to the light, and look at that nipple, and tell me what you see,...he said God damn it you forgot to load it.

I am completely dead sure I loaded that pistol before I left the house. I even broke off an oak dowel for a good ramrod because the one with the gun was too short to seat it. And my powder measure was still set on 8 grains, which would be strange, had I not adjusted it to that this morning!

I said, damn it, that .31 ball felt pretty snug when I stuffed it in there this morning. But I checked my pocket anyway, no ball. I checked floorboard of truck, no ball and no powder mess on floor...

I loaded the gun again and we shot it several times with no issues.

My only conclusion is the first shot was a misfire, and that cap completely blew that tiny little charge and ball out of the tiny 2 inch barrel and was probably laying on the ground somewhere now.

The only other explanation is I put a ball and powder into that gun and it vanished.

I dont get it...I've been doing this for YEARS, and I'm not old enough to be losing my mind...

Actually come to think of it, not only did the ball vanish out of my gun yesterday, but, the fish swam off with our stringer. We were on the exact grounds of a famous Indian skirmish with heavy casualties...on land ceded by the lakota...maybe I should take a hint. No joke.

Anybody done any shooting with one of these things? Today I shot a couple rounds, seemed like it was hitting way low. Not sure of the groups. Might have to make up a target board.

I did notice a bit of vibration of the barrel hinge and when I loaded 10 grains. I might restrict it back down to 8 from now on. Wouldn't want to warp this beauty.

I was kind of thinking it makes a nice pocket gun. It's so small and easy to carry. You forget it's even there...

Maybe after I get it patterned on a target board...this thing sure is a little jewel! Very well made.

Back